Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Tandem Axle tilt utility trailer
- - By welder03 (*) Date 06-17-2003 04:19
I am in the process of starting to build a 5x10 tandem axle tilt utility trailer, to be used to haul grass clippings and dirt, etc, it will have a hyd cylinder and a 12v. motor and hyd pump, I have the axles, the sheetmetal for the bed is allready formed how I want it, I would like an idea of how to build the trailer frame and the box frame so it is stong, looks good, and so there is clearance for the tilt cyl., I realize this is not an easy question. OR Would anyone now of free project info I could get on the internet? Thanks in Advance!

Mike
Parent - By Northweldor (***) Date 06-17-2003 11:43
Mike:

Go to http://www.championtrailers.com/UTILITY_TRAILER_KITS.HTM

There is some free plan info there.
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 06-17-2003 16:32
I don't have much to offer with the exception of, try to keep the weight down. Some time ago, an employee built a tandem axle trailer that he wanted to haul 2 motorcycles on 3000 mile trip. He made it so heavy that he couldn't muster up enough horsepower to pull it while empty.
Don't sacrifice safety, but don't assume that "if some is good, more is better".
Chet Guilford
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 06-17-2003 17:04
Brakes on at least one of those axels would help out a great deal too.
On mine the frame is made out of 6" channel instead of angle and seems to be alot sturdier. Use as many "standard" parts as you can find, it will help when and if you have to replace something.
A few more thoughts,
John Wright
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 06-18-2003 04:03
Regarding tilt cylinder clearance. If you have any drafting ability draw it carefully with the bed in several positions. If you do it well you will discover any problems while they can be corrected with an eraser rather than a cutting torch.

I second the advice above about lightness. It's easy to keep adding on "a little more couldn't hurt" till your project becomes hopelessly heavy. I like rectangular tubing- its neat, strong for its weight, and the connections are fairly easy.

Bill
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 06-18-2003 11:08
I agree with the weight issue, the more your trailer weighs, the less you can haul on it.
John Wright
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Tandem Axle tilt utility trailer