Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / level one Ut Tech
- - By joe pirie (***) Date 06-11-2009 02:13
Can a level two tech qualify someone to be a level 1? im real confused about how to ngo about becoming level one qualified.
im a cwi who is working and overseeing a level twos U t tests after i have VT approved the welds. does this qualify me for working hours towards asnt level 1  Thanks Joe
Parent - - By Bill M (***) Date 06-11-2009 13:19
You need to know the definitions:

Qualification
Documented Training, Demonstrated Knowledge, Documented Experience, and Demonstrated Skills required to perform a specific task.

Certification
Written testimony of qualification.

An individual is certified to level I or level II by a company.  The company certifies individuals in accordance to a written certification procedure that is managed by a level III.

To your question, The certifying company's written certification procedure may allow a "level II" to administer some part of the required qualification work (training) to a "level I" individual.  You have to review the specifics in this written certification procedure to learn what is required for training hours, who may provide training, etc. 

Are you an employee of the same company as the NDT techs?
Parent - - By dmilesdot (**) Date 06-11-2009 13:22
A level II can train a level I but he cannot certify.
Parent - - By Bill M (***) Date 06-11-2009 14:34
Maybe...

At my place of employment our qualification program allows a level II to provide required on-the-job training hours to a level I.  The qualification program does not allow The level II to administer required class-room training to a level I though.
Parent - - By dmilesdot (**) Date 06-11-2009 18:03
A given companies writen practice can allow just about anything to suit their needs. That said I took his question to be "can a level II certify a level I".  TC-1A doesnt say anything about qualifications of persons giving class room training.  CP 189 does call out requirements for an NDT Instructor, but it also allows for qualifications other than being a level II.
Dave
Parent - - By Bill M (***) Date 06-11-2009 18:51
I certainly agree with you.  The SNT-TC-1A doc doesn't say anything about qualifications of persons giving classroom training.  The certifying company's written practice controls the process.  The SNT-TC-1a description of Level II includes a statement that an NDT level II should exercise responsibility for on-the-job training and guidance of trainees and NDT level I personnel.

Reading between the lines on the initial inqury at the top-  I take the question to be:

1.  The CWI individual does not work for the NDT house that is working on-site
2.  The CWI individual is tasked with "overseeing" the NDT UT techs weld inspection work underway
3.  The question asked is:  Can the CWI individual now somehow log UT (training) "working hours" towards level I UT certification, based on this "overseeing" work.
Parent - By mroach (**) Date 06-26-2009 22:45
Bill M,     I think you answered your own question. The last sentence of SNT-TC-1A section 4.3.1 states that "The NDT Level I should recieve the necessary instruction and supervision from a certified NDT Level II or III individual".  I've heard this argument before with various CWI's who came into my plant and sat there watching me do the scan and wrote that time off as UT training with their company.  Their purpose was to be a state representitive witnessing the qualified Level II conducting the ultrasonic inspection.  They were not there as a Level I conducting the inspection and most definately were not qualified under my companys in house practice. Primarily I work with bridge code, D1.5 and our written practice is written to comply with the code requirements.  The 2002 edition in section 6.1.3.4 paragraph (2) states "NDT Level I working under the direct supervision of an individual qualified for NDT Level II".  I think the key word hear is "working" not "watching".  My companys in house practice does not recognize any testing hours for SNT-TC-1A purposes other than actual time worked.  I'm not saying that other companys in house practices are the same, if they are comfortable with watching for qualifying hours and wrote that into their procedure or practice then, okay.  In my opinion, the level one should be pushing the transducer in order to learn the scanning technique so they know when they have good surface contact. They should know how to identify a faulty cable or faulty transducer, set up the equipment etc.  These are things you can not learn by just watching.  Put it into this perspective, you didn't learn how to drive a car by watching a movie!  No, you got in the drivers seat banged up a fender or two and then some where down the road you got pretty good at driving it.         Have a Great Day!       MR
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / level one Ut Tech