Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / He shoots and scores
- - By BryonLewis (****) Date 06-19-2009 03:54
Well fellers, I've finally, with much resolve and determination (and a lot of prayers), have managed to score an inspection job in Florida.  Hurray!!!
Bad thing is I gotta leave in a week.  DOH!!!
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 06-19-2009 12:06
Good to hear Bryon. It will get easier once you get a couple under your belt. Are you taking the family with you right away or are they going to follow at a later date?
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 06-19-2009 13:25
The family, its a little complicated.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 06-19-2009 13:35
I hear you. When I came to Dallas, mine stayed in CO for about 2 months before joining me.
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 06-19-2009 12:15
Great!!!
I wish I was about to move to Florida

Good luck :)

Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 06-19-2009 13:46
What? move to the USA? :-)
Parent - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 06-19-2009 14:54
If Florida....Yes!

:)

Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 06-21-2009 16:20
Gerald

South Florida is no longer part of the USA.  The Nuevo Cubanos make no secret of it.  Only the government signs are in English. You can go to any number of restaurants where the menus are only in Spanish and nobody on staff speaks English.

Joe Kane
Parent - By BryonLewis (****) Date 06-26-2009 04:34
I hope they're in the Daytona area to.  I would die without comida latina.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-19-2009 23:07
Great to hear.  Is it an in house QC job, inspection company, or third party inspector?

Family can even be complicated when "staying at home".  Most of my jobs have been long enough duration and far enough from home that I spend the week away and only get home for one to two days on the weekend. 

Our prayers are still with you as you work out the details.  Hope everything works out.  Might actually be a good idea to go check things out for a while before moving the family anyway.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 06-21-2009 22:40
I found the job on Craigslist but there was an advert on the AWS site:  http://careercenter.aws.org/jobdetail.cfm?job=3132589

Its a 3rd party on behalf of NASA.
"The devil's in the details", no shi*.  There are too many details with this whole situation but I gotta get to it so I can get the experience to make the "big money" one day.
Its and interesting job with potential for long term employment. 
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 06-21-2009 23:37
I hate to rain on your parade, but this statement "I can get the experience to make the "big money" one day" sounds a lot like capitalism. Are you a closet capitalist Bryon?
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 06-22-2009 01:27
If I can get the "big money" one day then maybe.  Until then, I'll just maintain my current beliefs.  :-)
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 06-22-2009 01:51
Instant capitalist just add money :-)
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 06-22-2009 02:25
Welcome to America. 
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 06-22-2009 17:52
[deleted]
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 06-22-2009 18:34
40% of $14 K/month.  That's the price of living free.  Many of our fellow Americas and much of the world don't see that in a year.  The extra 60% of take home pays for the house, cars, motorcycles, firearms, food and others luxuries.

Making $14 K a year, forget about it.  Been there, done that and trying not to do it again.  The more money you have the easier it is to "hide" it.  I've never made nearly that much jack and have found ways to help on taxes.

Death, Taxes and American Idol are all we can truly look forward too.  Well maybe not American Idol.  :-)
Parent - By Arctic 510 (**) Date 06-22-2009 20:31
"That's the price of living free."

Or maybe the price of someone else who doesn't want to work literally living for free...

America used to be a lot more free for a lot less.  Soon we'll pay a lot more to be less free.

Even though I gripe, there's nowhere I'd rather live!
Parent - By crazycajun (**) Date 06-20-2009 02:48
congrads. right about now if you can land a job i would do my best to try and keep it. they say that things should be picking up in a few months, but i heard that a few months ago. ha so, no one really knows when the world will start turning the right way again.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 06-21-2009 17:34
Good news.
Where at in Florida?
Yes, it is changing rapidly but I have a great fondness for the state.
Well, the perimeter anyway.
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 06-21-2009 17:55
[deleted]
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 06-21-2009 18:48
Excellent man. Thats a great area. It'll be a little on the warm side but there's lots of water.
And Bikini's  :)
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 06-21-2009 22:42
Yeah, its 95 here with 95% humidity and no ocean.  In the winter there's more ice than snow with a 5 degree windchill.  I better get that Brazilian wax and breakout the Mankini.  :-)
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 06-21-2009 22:58
LMAO!!!
You been workin out!!!  :)
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 06-22-2009 01:25
I wish.  :-)
I look more like a 6ft 4in cross between a pear, string bean and a mink. 
Parent - - By swsweld (****) Date 06-22-2009 01:54 Edited 06-23-2009 02:17
You must be planning on visiting Key West with that get up!!Glad for you. Don't get too busy and forget to post on the forum.If this doesn't work out, I'm tellin ya, a Fly Czar position will be available soon. I don't know about the Daytona area but do a little time at Turkey Point Power Plant (South of Miami) and you will be well qualified for the fly czar job. Congratulations and good luck with the new job.
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 06-22-2009 02:26
Thanks Tim.
Parent - By rfieldbuilds (**) Date 06-22-2009 12:27
Good to hear, It's great to share successes. I know there are alot of folks reading this forum who are 'on the hunt'.
GO Byron.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 06-22-2009 12:45
LOL, thanks for another mental image I did not need!! :-)
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 06-22-2009 13:38
Jealous?  :-) 
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 06-22-2009 14:42
Repulsed! :-)
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 06-22-2009 15:30
Where's the love these days?!!!
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 06-22-2009 16:22
LOL :-)
Parent - - By graveyhog (*) Date 06-26-2009 03:36
Good afternoon,good luck on your new job.But I have got to ask? How are you going to make it in FL. on 15.00 to 18.00 an hour and I don't remember see anything about perdiem on the job post. I'am sorry but I have been out of work for two months and I need a job. But there is no way I would have gave any consideration to a job paying that kind of money for a CWI! Even if you just got your CWI you can get more than that. You can go to work with Aerotek for 25.00 hr.and that's still low.I writing you back about this because its jobs or the company's like this that's killing me on wages.I know pipe helpers making more than 18.00 hr. The lowest wages that I have worked for in the past was 35.00 hr and on the high end was 65.00 hr.I don't know your situtation of needing a job,but I hope on the next one you will get a little more .I mean come on the ad said aerospace company.There is no reason for the low wages they have advertised.They act like there broke. I just wish no body would answer these ads.I know you employer's don't like this.But  I consider myself worth more than 15 to 18 hour.My history is CWI/CWE Cert VT,PT&MT, NCCER Welding Instructor,Cert State Welding Instructor,and experience heavy power industry.Well Bryon I wish you the best of luck and please don't take anything I said offensive I just think your worth more than that just because your are a fellow CWI.

Signed, Times are Tuff!
P.S. By way any body know where I can get a job
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 06-26-2009 04:23 Edited 06-26-2009 04:28
I got more than 15-18 from them.  I've had Aerotek looking for me for months now and nothing.  Right now a job is a job.  The only cert that I have is my CWI and I still haven't been able to use it yet.  I will be getting some experience with MT and PT, which I've been looking forward to. 

I've been out of work since October and I thought getting my CWI would help in the job hunt.  Which until now I've had no luck at all.  I've talked to these guys and they seem to be a good group to work with and the job is damn interesting.  So really at this juncture of my life I have 2 choices: go to Florida for $XX per hour which is $X per hour more than I was making welding for some ungreatful MoFos.  And the 2nd choice is run out of unemployment money in September and get put out on my arse.

I'll go to Florida.  Get my CWI experience, my MT and PT certs (which they are gonna help with).  Its going to last a year, this job, but its a Gov't contract so more like 18 months, and its only the first part of what they have bid on.  When this is over there could be another in the same location and some possibility for some overseas work.  By then I should be well versed and experienced and could stay on or git on down the road.

Not to mention, that although the Mankini in one of my previous posts is camo, I might get arrested here in Missouri for wearing that.  I might just fit in Florida with a little waxing here and there.  :-)

If you have all those certs and experience and are out of work, then a newbie like myself is Fuc*ed.  I better take the opportunity and run with it.
"When opportunity knocks, most people are in the backyard looking for four leaf clovers."
Parent - - By graveyhog (*) Date 06-26-2009 16:22
I do agree with you Byron about getting the experience on this new job you have. Make it work for you in the long run and yes all those certs and no job but I made a truck load money during the  outage season and has turned down a few jobs since than to regret it now.But it will get better around Aug.Maybe you can get them to foot your NDE certs.Hell u might  retire there.Good Luck!

Graveyhog
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 06-26-2009 16:27
Thanks alot.  Its gonna be a bit*h being away from the kids.  I'm a man that doesn't take change very well.  That is what I'm most worried about.  But hopefully it will be a change for the better.
Parent - - By emljr (*) Date 07-08-2009 18:53
Going to work for SAUER, inc., are Ya?
It is on the new mobile launcher at KSC?
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 07-08-2009 19:09
Yep, that's it.  You work on it too?
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 07-08-2009 19:15
Update please?
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 07-09-2009 11:03
Gravy!  For now.  I'm inspecting mostly B31.3 stainless pipe.  Some D1.1 and D1.2 stuff.  Good welders make for good inspections.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 07-09-2009 11:58
Glad to hear things are going well for you. And yes, I know what you mean about "good welders". :-)

jrw159
Parent - - By emljr (*) Date 07-10-2009 10:20
No I work on space shuttle side for USA, Ground Support Design Engineering, Structures, Cranes & Mechanisms.  I know Eddy though! Have done a few jobs with Sauer at OAKHILL.  Good people!  Enjoy the job!
Parent - By BryonLewis (****) Date 07-10-2009 11:18
Eddie's a real cool dude. And the welders here are amazing to work with. 
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / He shoots and scores