Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Programs for WPS/PQR , WQTR
- - By jsdwelder (***) Date 06-16-2009 14:16
I know we have have discussed this a number of times before, but here goes again. Are any of you using any programs for writing/recording your quals. that you would recommend? I loved the Lincoln Arc Works and I am looking for something similar to this. Thanks in advance
Parent - - By jsdwelder (***) Date 06-16-2009 14:23
Just looking on the web and found some info on "WeldOffice" from C-Spec. Has anyone used this?
Parent - By Taintedhalo (*) Date 06-16-2009 15:34
I am using Advanced Welding System for D1.1 and Welding Pro-Write for ASME Sec. IX they are both from Computer Engineering. I have been using it for about 2 1/2 years and love it. They both have code checking so if you put in somthing that doesen't follow the code the a little window pops out and lets you know. Here is the Web site.

www.computereng.com
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 06-17-2009 15:27 Edited 06-17-2009 15:32
I have used this and can set up a demo if you would like to see it in action. I can setup a gotoomeeting in about a minute and we can go over some of the features if you like.

You can send me an email to gerald@weldingdata.com if you want more details.

Some features of the WPS program are

Built in code checking for ASME Sec IX and D1.1

Very easy creation of a prequalified WPS

Up to 3 processes per pqr/wps

Ability to combine multiple PQRs for one WPS

Etc...

The WPQ program also has built in code checking for Sec IX and D1.1 and can provide continuity reports, expiration warnings etc. The ability to search for qualified welders  can also be useful.

I'm not a Cspec employee but do work very closely with them and provide services to them.

There are also a couple of videos at http://www.weldoffice.com/video/ that show some documents being created.
Parent - - By Ke1thk (**) Date 06-19-2009 11:31 Edited 06-19-2009 11:39
I haven't used any programs because I use many different codes.  The programs seem to cost an upfront amount and an annual fee.  They seem to be the best way to manage your information.  I use D1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.6, 2.2, etc. as well as TACOM, NAVSEA, and Mil Standards. 

I have most of the forms in excel format.  I print a copy of whichever code I'm working with, fill it in, and enter the data into a new spreadsheet.  I scan all related documents, tensile tests, radiographs, etc.  I enter photos if required.  I use Acrobat Professional (a few hundred dollars) to compile the documents into a "booklet." 

It's not as tight as software but is professional looking. 

I've written a program for D1.6 using microsoft access.  It's nice, but it took a while to write since I'm not a programmer.  I think that would be the way to go.  You can add codes by building off of whatever code you started with.  I think I'll hire my nephew for the summer for this.

Good Luck,

Keith
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 06-19-2009 12:38
Access is a great way to get the data stored, searchable, and easy to customize the output.  A tremendous step above excel or using word if you have to search for ranges etc. The abilty to build decision making into forms is more straighforward to me than in excel. One thing I have done in the past is used Access for data entry and validation and then used word documents linked to the data for printed out documents. 

The already built packages are quite an investment and the cost would be based upon how many documents are created, ease of use for multiple individuals, and need for support.

The Cspec software allows for creation of documents in accordance with any code however built in code checking is only for D1.1, Sec IX, and En287/288. A D1.1 prequalified procedure can be created quickly. A WPS from an existing PQR nearly as quickly. However you have to create enough documents to justify the cost.

One of the nice  things about arcworks is the cost .  Development of your own programs can be costly too however I did it as a hobby which made it "free" other than those late Fridays I was up with an access book staring at a screen just to realize it was 3 in the AM.

The annual fees for Cspec just cover continued support and any code/program changes that come out during that time. The software always works. I'm not sure about computer engineering. I think they have a "Hardware Key" or something like that.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 06-19-2009 13:49
To me the biggest advantage to these programs are their code red flags so to speak if you are unable to keep up with code changes.
However, if I may be the voice of contention, to me they are a waste of time and money. I have managed a fabrication shop of over 200 welders welding multiple codes, processes, applications, skill levels, and virtually all materials, under ASME, AWS/AISC/MBMA, API, etc., and with often rapid personnel turnover, without them, and done quite well. And you don't have to put up with the inevitable glitches that come with program revisions. You are going to have a learning curve no matter what. I choose to have that learning curve one of my own making.
By homogenizing the document formats, the quals, the continuity, etc., and utilizing more user friendly templates, the nighmare of mangement goes away. And when it comes to quals, both procedural and performance, the codes just don't change enough for it to be overwhelming to someone charged with the daily operation of this data.
Many people however swear by them and wouldn't do without them. For me its just easier the other way. And perhaps you have an application or an environment that it may be beneficial. This is certainly valid. My experience hasn't found one yet however.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 06-19-2009 14:56
You have a good point. Using a "Computer program" to do things that can be an "aid" to the process however I cannot place a value on being able to "look it up" myself.

Many people thing "software" will make it easier and in some cases it does however if there were problems managing welding related documentation before because of inexperience, lack of resources etc. it may not get better with a "Program". Someone still has t o put a considerable amount of time and effort into learning how to best utilize software. A $5000.00 cad program is pretty much useless in the hands of someone who doesn't have a basic understanding of the process. Sure you can make some nice straight lines, draw to scale etc. But you still aren't drawing.

Storing welding related information in a database (pre-packaged or home made) allows for fast retrieval of information , standardization of content, control of who has access to it etc. Programs with built in code checking can assist the user with becoming familar with the code they are working with. Having access to all of the materials referenced by a code can save a few minutes per document just looking up P Numbers etc.  However that far from justifies the costs.

As documents become more numerous, seraches become harder. Trying to SQUEEZE all of the information you can into the document number is pretty hard. However with a program for managing the information, searches become easier. When hundreds of documents exist finding the one for that one specific job can be pretty quick.

Regardkless of the software, if you dont have a good "system" for managing the information now, there is a possibility that Bill Gates himself may not be much help.However if you are willing to get a system in place, dedicate time and effort to learning it, sharing your knowledge with others so you are not the "guru", then some higher end software may be the answer.

I have used my own home made programs and others. Each has their advantage.  Bulding your own can be rewarding but estimating how much time it takes can be deceiving. I recently developed a weld tracking program for a company in the piping industry and pretty seriously underestimated how long it would take and how easy it would be . Though I made out since much of the work was done in my "spare time", I used up a good bit of spare time.

The advantage of off the shelp products is the resources they have for debugging before release, access to tech support for "new" issues etc. The features that can be put into a program that is setup for wide distribution are much greater than those in a "home made" program. But many times the developers of the "home made" program already know what the code says and need very few features other than a place to store and retrieve documents.

Have a good day yall

Gerald
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 06-19-2009 16:34
Gerald,
If your going to have and use one of these types of programs, building your own, like you say, is the way to go. I can see where that would be an assett. I can also understand that some experiences would argue against my objections and say these programs are very helpful, especially to the inexperienced. If they have proven valuable to many I am not the one to argue. I have tried most of them, though in most cases admitedly not comprehensively, and found them not to my liking, and not very helpful. I've just found it easier without them. And I've been involved in some fairly complicated documentation systems.
For me instead of purchasing a system that can handle the complication I've found it better to reduce the complication.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 06-19-2009 16:47
A great deal of value in "..complication I've found it better to reduce the complication."

A company that gives 3 or 4 different welders tests and doesn't have welders leaving and coming back would have a hard time getting payback from a high cost system. Especially if they have someone on thier staff that knows how it "works" without a computer.

I have seen databases with thousands of welders. Quite an event just to update a continuity log if one is kept. Much less on multiple processes. With an off the shelf system or even a home made database, updates can be easy.

Of course If someone was gonna "BUY" a program and get Cspec they may end up having to talk to me and they may already be tired of listening to me from here on the forum.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Programs for WPS/PQR , WQTR