Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Common Arc Program
- - By Jay Krout (*) Date 02-01-2003 12:38
Does anyone know what the Boilermakers Common Arc program is about, and what the welding test or tests are? Thank you very much, Jay Krout
Parent - By skerbeb Date 02-19-2003 23:43
Jay,
the address is several years old, but:
Common Arc
P.O. Box 190
Geneva, Il. 60134
Ph. 708-232-8378
fax -0748
I was acquainted with the program through job contacts with an employer using boilermakers (who, at that time, seemed to have the edge on maintaining the required documentation via their locals). Typically, a union local will sponsor a gathering of their members, and various employer representatives at a testing facility. All welding participants will weld a coupon (identical WPS). Inspections are performed at fit, root, and final by each company representative (each has their own "opinion" for acceptance of each of these phases). When coupon is eventually bent, that is the final acceptance. The welder is now approved / certified in the common arc system for all companies whose representatives accepted all phases of the testing. The company also has a responsibility to maintain a record of this, so the welder retains his continuity.
Parent - By bellevile1996 Date 02-20-2003 22:03
The address for Common Arc is still the same, the phone numbers have changed. Address is, P.O. Box 190, Geneva, IL 60134. Telephone # 630-232-8378 and the fax # is 630-232-9643. Mr. John Erickson is the Executive Administrator. Common Arc is now using a 2" x .625 wall coupon to test Boilermaker welders.
Parent - - By boilermaker (**) Date 02-23-2003 14:40
Jay, the tests can vary from a 2" heavy wall OB stainless all the way to 6" heavy wallOB 6010 with low-hy for the fill and cap and plate tests in all positions.but yes the common test now is the 2" DXH wall. All tests are given with a 4 hour completion time except for the 6", and all welders are given the same tools, chipping hammer, wire brush and a file. Most welders will bring their own cleaning tools though. It's not a test for the unskilled, and most people screw up by not paying attention to details..
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 02-23-2003 20:52
Is the acceptance criteria in accordance with ASME Sec IX or does it vary or exceed the code depending upon who is witessing the test(s)? I have heard about people having the testing witnessed by 11 contractors and onl passing 3 of them. That seems a little odd.

I worked my first job with the boilermakers this past week (And liked it) and I need to get certified with them but nobody is testing on the job in the area. The next test is in Portland Oregon and I sure would like to know if the testing is anything other than what is required by ASME before travelling across the country.

G Austin
Iuka Mississippi
Parent - By MBlaha (***) Date 02-24-2003 21:04
I took the Common Arc test when I was active in the Boilermaker Trade. ( I still pay my dues but am employed as a welding instructor at a local technical college.) Local 107 in Waukesha WI arranged for the test to be taken at 3 different sites that year speading them across the state. What you asked about as to some contractors accepting and other not is true. When I took my test, I was given a set of coupons, (2" Schedule 80) no scrap or anything to set my amperage on. The tig torch was a big watercooled torch capable of handling 500 amps. (The vocational school the test was taken at used Tig for mostly Alluminum.) You take the coupon into the booth, tack it, and step out of the booth and inform the inspectors that you have completed phase one. The inspectors, (there were 8 at this testing) then came in and inspected the tacks. 7 of the 8 accepted my tacks. One contractor rejected them for what he called suck back. (none of the others could find it.) HMMMM. Wonder if it was because of a disagreement I had had earlier with the same inspector LOL. Oh well, I had told the hall not to call me for any jobs that company had in the jurisdiction of the local anyway. Once all the inspectors had examined the tacks, I was given the go ahead to put in my root pass. Once that was complete, you stand outside your booth again and the inpectors come in and accept or reject the root pass. Again, the 7 that had accepted the tacks, accepted the root pass. I was given the go ahead to finish welding the coupon out with E7018 3/32" stick rod. As was mentioned previously, you are given only a file, a chipping hammer and a wire brush. The rods we were supplied with had not been stored properly and all the participants in the test had massive ammounts of perosity. We had to file this out. (I should mention, not that it makes me any expert by any means, but I had been welding tubes for the better part of 15 years at this time. Once the cover passes were complete, again, you step out of the booth, and wait for the inspectors to come and inspect the finished product. 4 coupons were cut out using a torch and we were then given grinders to polish the coupons before they were bent. (2 root and 2 face) I should add the the test was given in the 6G postion. (*Arkansaw bell hole* open root) I did pass the test for 7 of the 8 contractors. Hopefully the system has been revised and the contractors held more accountable. 7 months after I took the test, I received word in the mail that my Common Arc Papers had expired as I had not welded for one of the participating contractors in more than 3 months. Funny thing was I worked for 4 of the 7 in that time frame and had welded high pressure boiler tubes for each and every one of them. I would suggest checking with the locals in your area to find out when and where the tests will be given so you do not have to travel. I have heard of people traveling from Mississippi to Conneticut to take this test. Like someone else already mentioned, this is not a test for somone without expierience.

If I can be of any further help, please contact me at mikie_j_b@yahoo.com
Parent - - By bellevile1996 Date 02-24-2003 21:56
Have you checked the Common Arc Web Site? Try www.common arc.com
Then click on the Common Arc Corporation-Main Page, and then go to Testing Dates. These dates will change as Locals update their desire to hold Common Arc Testing at the Union Hall. There are Companies that send Inspectors to the testing that know very little about the Code requirements or about welding.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 02-24-2003 22:28
I just talked to the local in Portland thats hosting the testing. I have to have the BA at my local schedule the test. The website only lists 3 dates 2 of which have already passed. It appears there is not a big demand for this or the planning doesn't project to far into the future.

I hope there is some work out there within a few days so I can justify some of the expense.

G Austin
Parent - By Jay Krout (*) Date 03-01-2003 05:42
Thanks guys, from what I have just read, this all seems to be more of a hassle than what it is worth, with people messing with your mind like this, maybe I dont want to be bothered with it, I dont know. I dont react very well to people screwing around with my head like this.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 06-19-2003 02:46
Just a follow up. I went to a "Common Arc" test today. The test was on a 2-3/4" OD tube with a .625" Wall. The root pass was GTAW and the fill and cap was E-7018 . 3/32" wire was provided for the root. 3/32" or 1/8" was allowed for the remainder. The test was witnessed by 7 contractors at once. 3 hours was allowed to complete the test.

Other tests were given including a plate test on a backing strip with 7018 and a 309 SS root with E309-xx SMAW fill and cap on a 2" XH pipe.

I took the CS tube test and the SS pipe test. All of the contractor inspectors seemed very knowledgable and professional. The operation was very well organized and all instructions were provided prior to the test and all requirements were stated.

For the test I took I was provided the following instructions:

Stringer beads only, Root reinforcement from flush to 3/32", max reiforcement on the cap 5/32", tack 1/4", no power tools in the booth, GTAW Root only(No 2nd pass with GTAW), etc...

The coupon(After the straps were removed) can be viewed at http://www.weldinginspectionsvcs.com/WeldCapProfile.htm near the bottom of the page.

I passes this test but got looked out on the SS root GTAW for a fisheye in the root by ALL 7 contractors. I should have looked myself first but would it have really been a test if I did ?

I think the tests may vary some depending upon the contractors but I don't know for sure.

Have a nice day

G Austin
http://www.weldinginspectionsvcs.com
Parent - - By Jay Krout (*) Date 06-20-2003 18:36
Thank You Gerald and all the others who replied, I dont think I will pursue this much further, I was told by a BA back in Dec or Jan that all I needed to do was send them a copy of the papers that I have (code D1.1) and fill out the application pay the fees and I could go to work. Since that time I ve been on their books as a dues paying member. They never said anything about a Common Arc test until a day or so before my original question. This was after I made application and paid the fees. Then I find out about this test, first of all I know very little about tig welding, second I know I can pass a plate test, third I know I can pass a pipe test with a 6010 root and 7018 fill. This dont interest them. But the bottom line is, I was lied to from the start, I was told that with the papers I have I can go to work, I made a point to mention that these were the only papers I have, and he said that is OK send them.

With the horror stories that some have told me about since I have asked the original question I feel I dont need the double standard or the BS that a union has to offer. I can find work on my own without having to deal with a union, I just worked on 2 jobs doing plate work that the union either did not want to be bothered with or was just to pricey for the customer.

From what I have been told by some lads I have worked with and have been with the Boilermakers, their is not that much work available to make it worth the time, trouble or money you invest to make it worth my time this is why they arent there anymore.

I thought I would try it and see where I got with it and I guess I found out the hard way that it is not for me.

Gerald I wish you luck with it and hope fully for you it works out better than it worked for me. Thanks again to all for all the input. Jay Krout
Parent - By revpol Date 06-24-2003 05:59
Jay: Sorry you had this experiance with your local union hall. Been a boilermaker for almost 29yrs. Currently instructing apprentices on the common arc test,and testing once a week with 11 contractors. As far as you filling out papers and paying fee's was this for the apprenticeship? If so most locals don't test 1st period app. Until they prove themselves in the school test booths. Most all of the locals have some sort of booth set-ups and classroom work. Alot of the locals have a common-arc testing for local contractors. All your welding papers that you have previously collected only shows that you do know something about welding. Does not cert. you for any contractors and the contractor will not take them and let you weld. I don't think you where lied to maybe just not fully explained. Boilermakers are allways looking for new apps. with some type of welding background. In regards to the inspectors at the common-arc testing . It's to bad that personnalities get in the way but it does happen, I've seen it to. Not much you can do about it but gripe a little to powers that be. Some inspectors have more ekperiance than others on what is actually a rejected weld or a case of nerves and leaving a small imperfection, like fish-eye You guys are right in saying this test is'nt for the newbie. You have to know what you are doing or you spend alot of time fileing. Just my thoughts Revpol
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Common Arc Program