Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Losing My Home to Mold
- - By JLWelding (***) Date 06-22-2009 07:25
Its two in the morning and wondering if I am losing my mobil home to mold. House has a funky smell to it. I ran gray water about two years ago and had a friend look at it and he found some problems with lines I caped off, so he fixed that and I thought we had it, anyway it is still growing. It was just in one room but it is now spreading it seams. We cheched water lines and no leaks, if its not wet how is it growing? You cant see anything, how do you fight something you cant see?  I have sprayed one gal.clorox just on the bottom of floor,we cleaned walls with clorox and used kilzs paint on the walls and it is still getting stronger. There is no insulation left under house so you can see what you are spraying. I am thinking I have one day left and I am going to rip sheet rock off walls and see if I can see anything that way. Dont know what else to do,its a really bad feeling to lose your house to something you cant see to fight. if it where a tornado it would be over with by now but no it is pain full to feel hopeless. If anyone knows anything I can try please post something.
Parent - By rfieldbuilds (**) Date 06-22-2009 12:20
Whoa, before ripping sheet rock off the walls. Try and isolate the problem. A simple wood moisture meter can be  used to isolate areas which hold enough water to allow mold to grow. These devices have two small needle like prongs which are pressed into carpet,gypsum board and wood to isolate the problem. This is what the pros do. A cabinet shop, tool supply house, maybe even a rental company can supply you with this low cost tool. It is worth the expense if you avoid even one extra hole in your walls. Harborfreighttools.com will also have a cheapie model suitable for your needs.
Another alternative is to try placing a humidity meter in a room and isolate a room . Chase potential water intrusion spots like roof vents, flashing area(like doors and windows) and walls with plumbing. After you isolate the area, use a dehumidifier to lower the air moisture content and fans to exchange air several times  per hour. 
That sounds very frusterating. Good Luck and let me know how it turns out.
Parent - By michael kniolek (***) Date 06-27-2009 14:04
The mold can also bring on all kinds of health problems, do you have kids, pets id make sure the mold is not hurting anyone.
some health issues
Allergy to mold ,Infections ,Mold can irritate mucous membranes of the eyes and respiratory system,Trigeminal nerve effects ,Volatile compounds ,Some molds (fungi) produce toxins or poisons, and much more
This link may help, or lead to one that can.
http://www.allergynursing.com/moldy/health_hazards.html

I used a bleach tablet and water when my modular home was showing some mold.
MDK
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Losing My Home to Mold