Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Cool Blue
1 2 Previous Next  
Parent - By texasrigwelder (**) Date 02-05-2009 00:55
this is crazy i would break it in a week
Parent - - By RioCampo (***) Date 02-03-2009 17:50
I might suggest two beams in center under your wheel tracks. About 96" centered. We do all of them for oilfield traffic. Takes a lot of stress off the ends.
Even did some for txdot a few years ago. Engineered plans specified the design that way.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 02-03-2009 19:55
I called him yesterday after I talked to my steel guy and he told me off the top of his head the price of the tube. Talked to the client about price of steel alone and he opted for the concrete, $700 installed, can't compete with that price unless I made it out of galvanized fence tube.
Parent - By pipehog (**) Date 02-04-2009 03:46 Edited 02-04-2009 03:50
WELD COOL LENS AUCTION UP TO $415 WITH 1 1/2 DAYS TO GO WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!EBAY
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 02-03-2009 18:46
I'm surprised that AO, or any glass shop  has never bothered to make the lens again. I feel like if you had an experience glass shop and a chemist it wouldn't be impossible to make the lenses again.

Supply and demand huh, I'm surprised the companies haven't caught on that there's such a big demand.

Personally I grew up on the old fibreglass hoods but now I'm auto darkening all the way. I mostly do precision Tig and find the ol "head nod" is no good.
Parent - - By Mat (***) Date 02-04-2009 06:10 Edited 02-04-2009 06:13
Looking at that auction..

For me, I'll take my good old reliable cheap a$$ green glass lense all the way!  :)

Though I'm sure the old AO lenses are nice to use...not nice enough for me to spend 600 bucks on, but nice enough for some people apparently!  I can think of a ton of other ways to spend a chunk of change like that!
Parent - - By Root Pass (***) Date 06-19-2009 23:54
FWIW one of the guys posted on another thread about Athermal welding lens. I found these guys on the web, http://www.phillips-safety.com/Welding-Safety/Welding-Lenses.htm,
and bought a couple ($1.56 I think) They are the clearest I have ever used. Better than the old Lincoln supervisiabilty, new Lincoln supervisiabilty, new AO cool Blue, Oki Bearing,
Radnor, and the orange one in the Fibre Metal helmets (I like this one just a tad too bright). They also beat my Journeyman HTVLS automatic. While looking on their site I saw
the "Alloweld Lens" http://www.phillips-safety.com/Welding-Safety/AlloWeld-Lenses.htm Their print brochure says "no sodium flair" which sounded like the AO Cool Blue lens of old. I called them and ordered one in a shade 11 ($98.00). I have never looked through the Cool Blue but this lens is some kind of clear and I can see all of the detail in the puddle. Phillips knows about the old Cool Blue lens and they say this is just the same only green. It is laminated too but you have to specify a gold coating. The point is, this may be a replacement for the Cool Blue. I wish one of you die hard Cool Blue users would try one of these and see how they compare and let us know. Phillips is an American company with American craftsman making their own lenses. Great to deal with. Just thought I would trow that out there.
Parent - - By 250-1500 (*) Date 06-20-2009 13:59
so  you are saying that they DO make a shade 11 alloweld? the website says shades 4,5,6 and 8.
Parent - By Root Pass (***) Date 06-21-2009 19:53
Yes they will make one in any shade you want. I got an 11. It took about 5 days to get it.
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 06-21-2009 04:12
do they make it in a shade 12?? I am useing lincoln supervisibilty shade 12 in the old style lincoln lenses and there pretty dang clear I couldn't imagine a lense any clearer. I weld nothing but aluminum so it needs to be kinda dark.

250-1500 thanks for telling me to get the shade 12 in super visibilty I sure needed it more then the 11 for aluminum and I still wear blue safety glasses under my shield and it's still pretty bright but amazing how clear these lenses are
Parent - - By pipehog (**) Date 06-21-2009 16:25
just brought this one from a old lady $52.95 LOL
still had the orginal price tag on it.
Parent - By chris2698 (****) Date 06-21-2009 19:07
you s*ck LOL
Parent - - By Root Pass (***) Date 06-21-2009 19:55
Chris even their "regular" lens are clearer than the old Supervisiablity to me. And for less than $2.00 a lens... how can you go wrong!
Parent - By pipehog (**) Date 06-21-2009 20:10
are they better than the ao weld cool?
Parent - By pipehog (**) Date 06-21-2009 20:15
lets see this lens u speak of.pics please
Parent - By chris2698 (****) Date 06-21-2009 23:16
I may have to give it a try sometime i don't know
Parent - - By rondar (*) Date 06-23-2009 01:53
I have two of these COOL BLUE plates. I don't use them. If you know how to weld, you can use any filter plate. I sure wouldn't pay that much.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 06-23-2009 11:01
I bought one of the new style AO Safety cool blue the other day. Guy at the supply house said he ordered it in for a guy who never came back to get it. 10 shade, said if I wanted it I could have it for $2 over cost, walked out of there with a heck of a bargain. I used it yesterday and must say that it was exceptionally clear. When I first fired off the arc I remember mumbling something like, "Holy Schmidt!!".
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Cool Blue
1 2 Previous Next