Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding live natural gas line 40 years old, any input?
- - By weldo (*) Date 06-20-2009 19:43
I've got a repair coming up on a 6" sch.40 pipeline, it's natural gas, the line is about 8 miles long and it was installed in the 60's, we can shut it in and relief pressure but will always have residual gases, way to much line to purge it would take a truckload to purge, have made one repair already, replaced 60' of line, but right after they got it pressured up they found another leak a little further beyond are replacement, the last time I used standard procedure, 5P+ root etc... (ASME B31.8 i believe) but during the process we put aprox. 2-5 lbs. of pressure in the line and ignited and kept it ignited throughout the welding, the problem was that the flux on the 5P kept burning off and it was extremely difficult to keep a steady arc, ultimately I went to 3/32 7018 for my root and that worked better, my question is, is there a specific standard procedure for this type pf repair? and if so what is it? thanks in advance. Steve
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 06-22-2009 17:47
The American Petroleum Institute (www.api.org) has issued recommended practices on how to weld on vessels that had contained flammable liquids and are full of flammable gases and pipelines that had contained flammable fluids.
I suggest you to carry out a search on API's website. If you're not able to find anything (which I doubt), make a telephone call to them.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - - By weldo (*) Date 06-23-2009 01:12
Thanks Giovanni, I'll give that a try, appreciate the help.
Steve
Parent - By cremx (*) Date 06-24-2009 04:13
API RP 2201 "Procedures for welding or hot tapping on equipment in service", normally lower system pressure as much as you can, qualify a procedure simulating the internal pressure and select a properly NDE (i.e. UT) depends of your application
Parent - - By spgtti (**) Date 06-24-2009 02:24
It'll depend alot on the situation how you handle live work, I spent 2 years working for the local gas company and we generally handled every leak/repair differently. If your able to get a good shut off @ the valve or tap there shouldn't be anything but mercaptan and a little oil in the line. You would have to give alot more info into how you are shutting the line off, where the supplie(s) are feeding from, operating pressure and what you're doing to cut, prep and make your tie-in.

Even still it would be easy for someone sitting at a computer to offer good advice and get you hurt. I repaired leaks on high pressure lines, sometimes daily but recieved a SEVERE burn when I was racing thru a 20psi repair. Be careful, wear appropriate protection from the fire, and plan every move when working live lines.
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 06-24-2009 16:40 Edited 06-24-2009 16:44
[deleted]
Parent - - By weldo (*) Date 06-25-2009 00:37
In response to all, I appreciate all the input. To further clarify what i am dealing with, the line is 6" schedule 40 pipe, it is located between the compressor and 3 wells that tie into it, the leak is right about half way between the compressor and the first well tie in, which is approximately 1/4 of a mile either way, the only valves they have for blow down purposes and isolation, is at the compressor and the wells. The company man indicated to us that there was usually about 30lbs of pressure on the line under normal conditions, at times as much as 150lbs. we do have all the monitoring devices required, the last repair i made on the line we had approx. 2 to 5 lbs. flowing through the line throughout the repair with a man for fire watch, and one with a weed burner to make sure that the fire did not go out. the cutting and prepping was done with a torch beveler, and 4 1/2" grinder, i did use 5p and did leave the top open until i got the root and hot pass in then sealed off the top, however the reason i asked about the rod in my original question is because, the closer to the bottom of the pipe i got the harder it was to keep the arc going, the flame was burning the flux off faster than i could move, so when i got to that point i switched to 3/32 7018 and went from the bottom up and tied into where i left off with the 5p, i don't know what an inspector might think of that, but it worked well,experience has taught me that there are times and applications where bending the rules on welding procedures, is almost a necessity, thats where common sense and experience pay off, you can't teach that in a classroom, unfortunately, anyway there's the long and short of it. Thanks Steve.

Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 06-25-2009 01:45
Steve,

"i don't know what an inspector might think of that, but it worked well,experience has taught me that there are times and applications where bending the rules on welding procedures, is almost a necessity, thats where common sense and experience pay off, you can't teach that in a classroom"

No matter what you may think bending the rules on welding procedures is not common sense - most jobs I work on it would have you run off the site quick smart.
Why even bother having welding procedures if every welder who thought he knew better just decided to do their own thing ???
Regards,
Shane
Parent - - By jarsanb (***) Date 06-26-2009 13:24
C'mon now Shane, that advise in in clear violation of the Farm Code (FC-2002) which clearly states when in doubt to ask the welder. Get with the program!
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 06-26-2009 13:58
Yeah, isn't the latest Edition/Addenda due on that document.
Where does the committee meet for this?
I'm hoping Hawaii or Vegas.
I had sent in a request to be appointed to the bamboo scaffolding and umbrella strut filler metals sub-committees but as yet have not had a response.
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 06-25-2009 02:10
[deleted]
Parent - By Bill M (***) Date 06-26-2009 13:20
To you guys that do this type of work-   solid brass ones
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding live natural gas line 40 years old, any input?