Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Ethics and/or interest conflict? or SNT TC-1A compliance
- - By cremx (*) Date 06-22-2009 20:23
An employer´s written practice approved by a external Level III establishes the following:

4.1.3 Responsability oe each level.....
4.1.3.3 Level III...The NDT Level III, in the methods in which is certified, shall be capable of training and examining NDT level I and II personnel for certifications in those methods

6.0 Responsabilities
6.4 Level III or CWI (Certified welding inspector by AWS only for VT) personnel is responsible for NDT aplication and qualification of each NDT level, and also is responsible for NDT training and qualification (As described in 4.1.3.3)

The facts:

The same external Level III who approved the written practice has qualified a VT Level II, but this external Level III is not qualified for VT but he is CWI

Questions:

a) It is in compliance of SNT TC-1A?
b) It seems to be a interest conflict?
c) SNT TC-1A-2001 paragraph 1.4 allows to review and modify the recommendations presented herein. Is this is the case?
d) The Level III ethics is in question?
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-26-2009 12:07
SNT-TC-1A allows the employer to modify the requirements of the recommended practice to suit their needs. Provided the written practice defines the CWI as being the equivalent of the Level III as defined by SNT-TC-1A there is nothing illegal about the practice.

As is the case in many situations where a client is purchasing the services of a laboratory, the client has the obligation to review the laboratory's written practice to determine if the means of establishing and verifying the inspector's qualifications are in-line with their requirements. That is where many clients get something less than expected because they fail to read and understand the laboratory's written practice. It is a case of buyer beware.

Bear in mind that the CWI exams closely  replicates the examination process outlined in SNT-TC-1A, i.e., there are three parts similar to to those included in SNT-TC-1A for Levels I and II. A major difference is when the individual moves up to Level III and there is a recommendation the examinations include one part on the recommendations of SNT-TC-1A, the fundamentals of applicable NDT methods used by the employer, and discontinuities typical of different manufacturing processes.

Since the individual is already a Level III for other NDT methods, i.e., other than VT, I assume he/she may have already passed the "Basic Exam" described in the previous paragraph. The Level III only has to take the basic examination once, i.e., it does not have to be repeated for each NDT method for which Level III certification is sought. 

Whether this meets the client's expectations is a determination only they (the client) can make if SNT-TC-1A is the applicable document specified by the code or project specification.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By cremx (*) Date 06-28-2009 22:27
If you compare the SNT-TC-1A scope's for visual inspection training-certification, it is quite differente from the CWI's technical scope; unless the CWI follows the SNT-TC-1A training's scope and qualify the examiner in terms of SNT-TC-1A scope, the examiner could be qualified as VT per SNT-TC-1A.

I can not see the link betwen the welding inspector and the NDT visual examination technician, in my opinion the NDT VT techinician has wide capability than a welding inspector

Question: Could the NDT VT Level II made visual inspections of welds? it i recognized by the AWS? in the reverse form, Could the CWI perform inspections as NDT VT LLV II?
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-28-2009 22:56
ASNT has a program that recognizes the CWI for direct visual inspections. Evidence of CWI certification and a few dollars gets the CWI a Level II from ASNT.

AWS D1.1 leaves it to the Engineer to decide whether alternatives to the CWI/CWB is appropriate. D1.1 doesn't require the CWI to be current.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Ethics and/or interest conflict? or SNT TC-1A compliance