Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / 9yr Boot Camp at Dallas in October.
- - By 100perpen (*) Date 06-23-2009 18:29
I have a good chance of going to Dallas in October for my 9yr re-cert. 5 days of learning with "Welding" ED Bohnart.
If anyone else is thinking of making that trip I would like to hear from you.
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 06-23-2009 20:54
Ed is probably one of the best guys you could do this with.  If he can't get you through it, then no one can. lol  Good luck down there.
Parent - By 100perpen (*) Date 06-24-2009 10:27
Thanks! And good luck to you down there too! Maybe in your free time you could do some casual inspection of welds on the "Arch".
I hope you stay connected to the forum. Your posts are some of the best!
Parent - - By kipman (***) Date 06-24-2009 14:25
I know Ed.  You'll enjoy the way he facilitates the course, and the interaction with all the other long time CWIs.
Mankenberg
Parent - By 100perpen (*) Date 06-24-2009 16:01
I hear that Kip!
Ed was my instructor 9 years ago in Milwaukee. I really believe Ed put the group in extremely good position to pass the test (s).
Parent - - By wiskybuck (*) Date 06-24-2009 21:59
Ed Bohnart will be the instructor for my CWI seminar and exam in Milwaukee next month. Good to here all the positives.

I'm bringing a big bag of apples for the teacher : )
Parent - - By spots (**) Date 06-25-2009 17:53
Ed was great when I took the course last September, passed on the first shot. I hope his computer is still working well after I fixed it for him, damn spyware...
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 06-28-2009 20:53
Ed is truly a great instructor.   But what kind of inspector has to go to "Boot Camp"????  You have been an inspector for 8+ years, and you are afraid of taking the Part"B" practical exam??!?!?!
Parent - - By 100perpen (*) Date 06-29-2009 11:43
Dear Mister Kane,
You sir are a great contributor to this forum. Your posts and replies have been a valuable resource for myself and I'm sure others who participate in this forum.
Your insinuation that fear is motivating this 8+ year CWI to travel to Dallas in October to spend 1 week with a highly respected instructor and countless years of experience with others in our craft is personally unacceptable to myself and those who will be participating in the course.
Possibly just a good natured challenge on your part. However without the benefit of voice and personality you text could be translated to be bit harsh.
Sure, I could very easily travel to Milwaukee, take and pass the "Part B".  However it comes as a surprise to me that you think a plastic weld sample could ever replace the experience and education I will receive in Dallas.
Sincerely
jr
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 06-29-2009 12:13
Let me be clearer.

The sarcasm and insult is quite intentional.  The money and time you spend for that week-long BS session product could be better spent on other courses that could lead to corrolary skills.

I have long been opposed to the so-called Boot Camp. It was only tacitly approved by the Certification Committee after Staff initiated it, and it was making money for the AWS.

I know a few engineers and a few CWIs (who very seldom really practice inspection ) who took the boot camp.  They were all afraid of failing the practical exam, and said so.
Parent - By 100perpen (*) Date 06-29-2009 14:49
Joseph,
Can we please dispense with sarcasm and insult. We are in this profession together and I request we interact with mutual respect and strive to understand positions other than our own.
Allow me to give you some history about the last 8+ years. My organization deals with Structural Sheet Steel D1.3. I inspect welds and qualify operators to this code and have become quiet proficient at carrying out this duty.
Over the last the last 18 months or so we have seen an increase in business requiring qualification and inspection to D1.1 and recently D17.1 / SAE-AMS 2219. Most of what I have learned about these codes came from interaction with customer CWIs who practice in Qualification and inspection with D1.1 and D17.1
I see an opportunity in Dallas to get questions answered and discuss experiences with these codes.  Courses that could lead to corollary skills that provide this kind of information and experience are just not available.
Referring to the course in Dallas as a BS session would challenge the integrity of the instructor and of the AWS itself. I believe in this organization and its representatives.
I would be naive to think there are no CWIs who look to the course as an "easy out". However the easiest out for this 8+ year CWI would be a 1 hour drive south for a 2 hour test as opposed to 1 week attending sessions in Texas from 8:30 am to 10:30 pm.
The issue for this 8+ year CWI is that I learn nothing by inspecting plastic samples just to prove I have knowledge of weld discontinuities.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / 9yr Boot Camp at Dallas in October.