Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Military Standard X-Ray Test?
- - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 06-29-2009 22:22
Been seeing this a few times on roadtechs. I know I am NOT qualified but I was curious about what it was exactly, especially the (restricted) part. What do they mean by restricted? Are they saying the test will be in a little box? I've actually heard some welders talking about some sort of test like that. Also another welder said he had a buddy who did a test where the pipe was in the neighborhood of 6" off the wall or something. Here is how they had it worded,

"able to pass military standard X-Ray welding test in the 6G position (restricted). Also must be able to pass stainless and cooper nickel thin all socket welding test."

As said, not even remotely able to do this but wanting to learn what I'm reading and figure ya'll on here would straighten me out. Thanks!

Shawn
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 06-29-2009 23:18
Hello Shawn, in a sense you would be welding in a "restricted" area. If you have any access to a copy of D1.1 and look up a restricted 6G pipe test you will probably see what looks similar to a donut that is placed slightly above the weld joint that causes the welder to be limited in his/her access to making the necessary weld. There are a number of tests that incorporate different or similar variations of this scenario to simulate limited access welding situations. I hope that you can visualize what I have described here. Others will likely have better descriptions or links to illustrate this for you. I don't have ready access to those right now. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 06-30-2009 12:28
The restricted tests in the Navy oftent consisted of a restriction on 3 sides of the pipe of 12" or less.

Here is a picture that illustrates the concept.
Attachment: SOCKETWELDSMALL.jpg (43k)
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 06-30-2009 13:03
good example, thanks pipewelder.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 06-30-2009 14:17
Hello Shawn, here's one more for you. I managed to get to some of the examples that I have access to. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 06-30-2009 22:21
Thanks Allan that's another good example. Pretty neat to see some of these tests that are actually out there. 
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Military Standard X-Ray Test?