Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Pre-qualified procedure
- - By Ringo (***) Date 07-01-2009 15:34
Does anyone know of a prequalified procedure for GTAW,Stainless-304,flare -V-,welding .006 to .020,with impact testing to 77 Kelvin,compatable with ASME sec 3?

Thanks,Ringo
Parent - By Bill M (***) Date 07-01-2009 15:43
i am not aware of any prequalified welding procedures in the ASME BPV code for nuclear construction.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 07-01-2009 17:25
ASME does accept some SWPS, but it is possible that in the nuclear field these are not acceptable.  I suspect anything in that field will require procedure qualification by testing.

Here is some info by Mr. Sperko on the ASME site.
http://files.asme.org/asmeorg/Codes/CertifAccred/Accreditation/1036.pdf
Parent - - By Ringo (***) Date 07-01-2009 18:07
The last vessel,the customer accepted one SWPS, but it only went down to 1/16.I found only one other AWS procedure that was anywhere close,and it only covered 10-18 gauge sheet metal.

I told the customer that more that likely they will have to get one qualified thru a materials lab.The only other option I thought of was to see if they could use the WPS from the main contractor,and get qualified thru them.

Thanks for the response,Ringo      
Parent - - By Taintedhalo (*) Date 07-01-2009 18:28
If I remember right none of the Prequalified Procedures have Impacts done or if they do AWS will not give you the info for the tests, that were done.
Parent - - By Ringo (***) Date 07-02-2009 10:42
Yea,I'm afraid the company is just going to have to fork over the bucks,and have the procedure qualified themselves,it might be a feat to get the sample down to 77 kelvin to do the impact test.I'm guessing liquid nitrogen.
Parent - - By Taintedhalo (*) Date 07-02-2009 13:07
Are you sure it is 77 kalvin because that comes out to be -321F and -196C. And with that thin of material wouldn't it just shatter. (I don't know what the piping is going to be used for.) I could see like 223kalvin (-58F and -50C). If they call out a temp. for impacts in the Spec. than go with that temp. But if they don't then what I do is go -20F from the lowest temp of the enviroment in or around the part but i don't go below -55F. Like here in Minnesota, the northern parts have hit temps. of -45F so that is the temp. I use for parts that will be located outside in the state.  If they don't require Impacts I will still do them at -10F from what the mill tested it at for the MTR. Not sure if this will help or maybe I am doing it all wrong, someone on here will let me know.
Parent - By Ringo (***) Date 07-02-2009 13:48
It's for a  national lab,and as crazy as it seems,that what's required.I don't know the application,I assume it's proprietary.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Pre-qualified procedure