Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / New MIG welder
- - By chrisR Date 06-24-2003 11:57
First thanks for the suggestions on the bench setup. After starting to use the new tools I’m going to opted for separate work areas for the grinder and chop saw, makes things more flexible. I finally got the welder all setup last night and got the time to start “sticking” some pieces of metal together. (Can’t call it welding yet, I still need a lot of practice, practice, practice.)

I did run into an issue with the gas regulator dropping off to 0 cfh during my practice. Before I ask my question here are the equip. and work specs: MillerMatic 175, gas 75/25 Ar CO2. Wire .030 solid. My practice pieces are 1/8 mild steel and I set the machine at the recommended WS of 60ipm and V at 4.5.

I setup the regulator and let it sit for about 10mins with the gas on like the manual said and made sure the dispenser valve stayed constant so no leaks. Turned the adjustment screw to 20-21 cfh as suggested in the manual and began to weld. Lots of spatter and when I stopped I saw that the regulator dropped to 0cfh. I adjusted the regulator up to about 26cfh and started again. This time it seemed to work less spatter and the cfh stayed constant after I stopped. Can anyone tell me if it’s correct for the regulator to drop off when you don’t have enough CFH set or does it sound like something is wrong with the regulator.

thanks
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 06-24-2003 12:48
Chris,
You may not have purged the lines completely before you started your first pass. It's not hard to figure out when the gas is not present, as you have seen already. Squeeze the trigger and set the cfh's to the recommended flow rate, this assures you have proper gas coverage while welding with your hood down (hard to watch the gauge and weld too:).
John Wright
Parent - By welder_guy2001 (***) Date 06-24-2003 18:20
sometimes those little adjustment screws are sensetive. you don't have to be welding to check the pressure...just squeeze the trigger on the gun and watch the needle on the gauge.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 06-27-2003 07:36
I agree with both of the suggestions. However, it is very important to go to the wire feeder and loosen the drive roll from the wire so that you do'nt have alot of wire coming out of the contact tip in the welding gun when you set your cfh on your flowmeter/regulator. What a mess that could be!
Now if you have a purge button on your wire feeder or if you you have one of these buttons on your machine's front panel then, you can avoid all of what I mentioned above, and having to possibly reset your tension adjustment on your drive roll assembly. If you have a book available that covers GMAW operating instructions, you might find the necessary info in order to successfully setup, and operate the equipment so you can produce consistent high quality welds. Remember - Practice, Practice, Practice!!!
Good luck!

Regards,

SSBN 727 Run Silent. Run Deep!!!
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 06-27-2003 13:46
ssbn727,
You forgot to say one thing.........& Practice some more!
John Wright :)
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 07-05-2003 08:52
YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!!! JW!!!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / New MIG welder