Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Using HTS-2000 rods are they
- - By videorov Date 06-27-2003 03:12
Better then using a MIG to weld aluminum?
They say they make a strong weld. I wonder if its as good
as using a Millermatic 251 MIG on aluminum.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 06-27-2003 08:20
I need more info on what exactly you are welding and what welding process these rods are used with.
If these rods are for arc welding (SMAW) then, you are better off with MIG (GMAW) welding the aluminum.
If these are used for Oxy-fuel welding then, if you are experienced enough with this type of welding, your welds should come out just fine if for instance, you're welding and aluminum motorcycle gas tank with the proper torch, tip, flame setting, and technique.

The question you are asking cannot be answered completely because, you need to provide all of the necessary information in order to give you the appropriate advice. What I mean by this is that you need to let me know what type(anodized), grade(1000,2000,4000,5000,6000 series), thickness,
joint design, etc. Then and only then, can I or anybody else, answer your question, and give you the correct advice. No offense!

Please let me and everyone else know what your application consists of.

Regards,

SSBN 727 Run Silent. Run Deep!!!
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 06-27-2003 13:54
videorov,
Give us all the info that you know and then people here on the forum can make and informed reply. Remember, you can't give too much info, the more the better. :) There are many very knowledgeable people that monitor this forum daily and there are a wide variety of experiences to draw from. Keep the questions coming! I learn something new almost daily by reading the replies to the questions that are asked.
John Wright
Parent - By videorov Date 06-28-2003 04:18
Ive been doing some reading tonight and TIG might be better then MIG
I was thinking of till I cam across these HTS-2000 rods, but looks
like TIG will give be a real nice weld and stronger weld then MIG. No
splatter like you might get in MIG.
I wonder what size MIG would be good for up to 3/8" thick maybe even 1/2" but may not have to go that thick with my project.
Parent - By videorov Date 06-27-2003 23:52
The rods are made by
http://newtechnologyproducts.net/contactus.htm

If I could send you a picture of my project you could see it not
real hard. Its a lifing sled system to lift antennas up and down
a tower for Ham radio.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Using HTS-2000 rods are they