Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / WPS for stainless and aluminum
- - By david bean (**) Date 07-02-2009 16:42
Hello,  I have just been directed to write weld procedures for our sister Architectural Fabrication company. They will be dealing with non ferrous metals.  It is my understanding that D1.6 Stainless has prequalified joints and  D1.2 Aluminum is not prequalified and testing must be done to qualify the procedures. 

Where is the best place to find the typical operating procedures?

Is their a web site with the parameters or do i have to contact the manufacture?

Any past experience or recomendations would be very helpful!

Regards'

David
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-02-2009 16:50 Edited 07-02-2009 16:53
If you have no back ground in welding aluminum, start with a long conversation with the welders that will be doing the work.

Get a feel for what they've been doing in the past.

Then get a copy of Kaiser's book on welding aluminum. I have a copy here in my pile of debris, somewhere, but I'll be darned if it is at my finger tips.

You will be qualifying the procedure in accordance with D1.2, so I would definitely start with that. The actual welding parameters you record while the welder is welding the test plate will be the basis of the parameters listed in the WPS. You are planning on witnessing the welding of the test pieces aren't you?

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 07-02-2009 17:34
Hello David, Al had mentioned the Alcoa book, it's a great book, I too have a copy somewhere. In lieu of that you might go to www.alcotec.com, their website has a host of very good information that might shed some light on the topics that you are interested in. Be prepared to do some reading though. Best of luck and regards, Allan

Edit: I should pay closer attention, I was referring to a book by Alcoa entitled: "Welding Alcoa Aluminum", this is also a very good bit of reference material for aluminum.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-02-2009 19:42
We knew what you meant. ;)

Al
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 07-02-2009 19:59
Thanks Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / WPS for stainless and aluminum