Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Lie detector ratings
- - By michael kniolek (***) Date 07-10-2009 01:42
on fox I just watched a chart graph  superimposed on a comercial and its showed reaction to what was being said between dem and rep viewers
Is this a lie detector type device?
Any1 ever hear of this method of collecting data?
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 07-10-2009 04:41
I've seen it before. The audience is given a hand control in which they puch a button up or down as it relates to their current opinion of what is being said. I don't think it's anywhere near a standard lie detector test.
Parent - By michael kniolek (***) Date 07-10-2009 22:36
Right, thats what it was i remember hearing abot it.

Maybe we should attatch lie detectors in the pres debates
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 07-10-2009 05:39
it's used in marketing and advertising and campaign management to gauge consumer response to media. The had a guest on NPR once who was the creator of this process and a very successful political ad consultant. He did a lot of research in terms of elements and types of advertising (positive, verses negative political ads) and how it affected viewer opinion.

Basically it's an updated version of the applause-o-meter
Parent - - By stkwldr (**) Date 07-13-2009 21:51
Its called the "Instant Response" focus group technique pioneered by Dr. Frank Luntz.  They can pinpoint exactly what people like and dislike by their words.  The higher the meter the more they approve of what you are saying, and the lower the meter the less they approve of what you are saying. 
This way you can adjust your wording to your audience and have mass appeal.  Marketing is great.

rs
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 07-14-2009 01:11
thanks I couldn't remember the name of the creator or it's technical name. I gotta read up on it more,  very fascinating and powerful tool
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Lie detector ratings