Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Qualifying a WPS, Similar WPS's
- - By pgt1996 Date 06-25-2003 20:08
To all,

I am looking into what it will take to qualify a WPS and certify welders on that same WPS. We would be qualifying a WPS for non boiler external piping completely composed of A53 Grade B (P-1) piping. What I am looking for then is a prewritten WPS that I could qualify and have our welders certified on. The National Certified Pipe Welding Bureau has several prewritten, prequalified WPS's but to obtain a copy requires a membership which I am not able to obtain. They have a WPS 1-12-1 that seems like it would be what I am looking for but I was wonderding if the AWS had an equivalent? I found a number of WPS on the AWS website which have similar descriptions, but different numbers as shown below. Does anyone know the main differences of these WPS's, or know if I am even headed in the right direction? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

-Tim G.

14. Carbon Steel (M-1/P-1, Group 1 or 2), Primarily Pipe Applications - Shielded Metal Arc Welding - B2.1-1-208-96

7. Carbon Steel (M-1/P-1, Group 1 or 2), Primarily Pipe Applications - Shielded Metal Arc Welding - B2.1-1-205-96

3. Carbon Steel (M-1/P-1, Group 1 or 2), Primarily Pipe Applications - Shielded Metal Arc Welding - B2.1-1-203-96
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 07-01-2003 20:55
Appendix E of ASME Sec IX lists the SWP's and what they are for. 6010, 6010-7018, 70S-2 - 7018 etc.

It will depend upon what you wan't to use for your root and fill passes.

A little more information and maybe I can help more. Not all of the SWP's have been adopted by ASME based on my information.

This link may give you a better description of the SWP's available. http://global.ihs.com/search_res.cfm?RID=AWS&input_doc_number=aws+B2.1

Good day

G Austin
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Qualifying a WPS, Similar WPS's