Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / What is Steel plate Mill Certificate type 3.1?
- - By Nalla (***) Date 07-12-2009 13:38
Can somone shed some on this subject?Sample Cert attachement appreciated?
Thanks
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-12-2009 17:22
What code or standard are you working to?

There are typical mill certs, actual mill certs (sometimes referred to as certified mill certs), product analysis for chemistry, and ladle analysis for chemistry.

More information as to the applicable welding standards or fabrication standards may help us help you.

Al
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 07-13-2009 01:14
Nalla,
Type 3.1 into the search engine.
It is a British / European standard for mill test certificates when working with the PED (Pressure Equipment Directive)
In short, it is a specific type of mill cert that ensures you are purchasing your steel from a reputable steel manufacturer.
If you are commissioning your FPSO now and you are only now asking what a 3.1 cert is I think you may find you are up a certain creek without a paddle.
Good luck,
Shane
Parent - By Shane Feder (****) Date 07-13-2009 01:26
Nalla,
Have a look at this site.
EN-10204 Certificates.pdf (http://mdmetric.com/fastindx/t88u.pdf)
Cheers,
BB
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 07-13-2009 13:18
Shane,

Be carefull here!
A 3.1 certificate does not mean that it is suitable for PED! (per default)

The certificate will still need a NoBo stamp indicating that an approved quality system is in place, a 3.1 does not indicate that.

3.1 simply indicate how and where the tests has been performed, for welding consumables a 2.2 is often (if not always) enough.

Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-13-2009 14:36
It is good to see this forum has some international representation. I have no experience working to some of the standards you fellas are conversant with.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By cremx (*) Date 07-14-2009 00:08
FYI Extract from BS EN 10204:2004 Metallic products — Types of inspection documents

3 Inspection documents based on non-specific inspection

3.1 Declaration of compliance with the order “type 2.1”
Document in which the manufacturer declares that the products supplied are in compliance with the requirements of the order, without inclusion of test results.

3.2 Test report “type 2.2”
Document in which the manufacturer declares that the products supplied are in compliance with the requirements of the order and in which he supplies test results based on non-specific inspection.

4 Inspection documents based on specific inspection

4.1 Inspection certificate 3.1 “type 3.1”
Document issued by the manufacturer in which he declares that the products supplied are in requirements of the order and in which he supplies test results.

The test unit and the tests to be carried out are defined by the product specification, the corresponding rules and/or the order. The document is validated by the manufacturer’s authorized inspection representative, manufacturing department.

It shall be permissible for the manufacturer to transfer on to the inspection certificate 3.1 obtained by specific inspection on primary or incoming products he uses, provided that the manufacturer traceability procedures and can provide the corresponding inspection documents required.

4.2 Inspection certificate 3.2 “type 3.2”
Document prepared by both the manufacturer’s authorized inspection representative, independent of the manufacturing department and either the purchaser’s authorized inspection representative or the inspector designated by the official regulations and in which they declare that the products supplied are in compliance with the requirements of the order and in which test results are supplied.

It shall be permissible for the manufacturer to transfer on to the inspection certificate 3.2 relevant test results obtained by specific inspection on primary or incoming products he uses, provided that the manufacturer operates traceability procedures and can provide the corresponding inspection documents required.
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 07-14-2009 01:37
Thanks 3.2,

I just wrote a quick initial response, I have replied with a bit more detail below.

"A 3.1 certificate does not mean that it is suitable for PED! (per default)"
My apologies, you are correct, if a 3.2 certificate has been requested then a 3.1 is not sufficient.

"The certificate will still need a NoBo stamp indicating that an approved quality system is in place, a 3.1 does not indicate that."
The Quality Management System does have to be approved by a NoBo but there is no requirement for the NoBo to stamp the 3.1 certificate (only the 3.2 certificate).

I will try to explain in laymans terms for the benefit of our fellow members who have not had much experience with the PED. Please correct me if I am wrong.

The PED (Pressure Equipment Directive) will require a specific certificate based on the class of piping, vessel etc.

EN 10204 Type 3.1 requires the manufacturer to possess a valid QMS certificate issued by a Notified Body. The information noted by cremx is then listed on the individual certificate. Somewhere on the certificate it will be listed, EN 10204 Type 3.1.

EN 10204 Type 3.2 contains the same information as a 3.1 cert accept the certificate must be validated (stamped / signed) by a notified body.

As 3.2 noted, a 2.2 certificate is required for welding consumables and this is similar to the 3.1 cert, the manufacturer must have an approved QMS.

So if you are looking to export anything to Britain / Europe that has to be manufactured / fabricated in accordance with the PED you must have the certs noted above.

Hope that helps,
Regards,
Shane
Parent - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 07-14-2009 05:28
Great post there Shane..

To the OP: Some time ago, I posted a link to an "online version" of PED. There you will find all the guidelines and annexes. Shane also posted a pdf file - I think it was.
I dont have it bookmarked on this PC, so just do a search on the forum.

Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / What is Steel plate Mill Certificate type 3.1?