Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 8P+
- - By tighand430 (***) Date 07-15-2009 00:07
All right, got a question for the pipeliners in the group. We're running 8P+ rods on this pipeline I'm working at an having trouble with the damn things bug holling on me. Never had this happen with the 70+ and can't seem to keep em out of the weld. It's not looking like swiss cheese or anything but there's usually a couple of them on the cap an I'm about to go insane tryin to figure it out! I've heard that it's from slag, tryin to carry too much metal an that the rods just do it an nothin to worry about as long as you peen them shut. Can anyone tell me if this is pretty common with these rods as I've never had to use them. All the shots that we've had have been clear but just hate having to screw up a good cap with a couple inch long bead cause of a lil hole. Thanks for any help. Also, I'm running the cap with  the 5mm rod set on 4th gear an about 70-80 on the remote. Machines had the rack rolled a lil an rpms turned down to where the output is around 90 volts.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 07-15-2009 00:29
Hello tighand430, not quite an answer to your question, but we have the same thing happen with the 5P+ that we use in our shop on occassion. I recall hearing of others on the site here experiencing something similar. So I don't think that you are alone with what you're seeing. They do seem to be surface defects and not extend down into the bead very far. I will be interested to hear of some better explanation as to why they occur and to what extent they can be an issue regarding a sound weld deposit. Prior to your post I only recall hearing of this with the 5P+. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By low_hydrogen (**) Date 07-15-2009 01:12
Guess i haven't used the 8p used some 8010 hippie rod.  on the 5p+ running cap with 5/32-3/16 used to see that happene some (wind sand blowing etc) dumped the 5p+ for the newer 6p pipeliner rod lot smoother cap in my opionin. Lot less hassle in clean conditions  imo
Parent - - By cdd (**) Date 07-15-2009 01:24
Try turning the heat box down to between 60-70 and carry a little longer arc. This has worked for me in the past when In ran those rods. Good Lock
Parent - - By dfwpipeliner (**) Date 07-15-2009 01:34
Like CDD said, long arc it a little and spray it on!!
Parent - - By tighand430 (***) Date 07-15-2009 01:52
Thanks! I'll try it tomorrow on one of the last 30" welds we started on today an let yall know how it went. I've capped with it on about 65 but just seems a lil too cold for my machine an afraid that it will just trap any slag that might be on the toes of the other beads. Alot of the holes are only surface deep but have had some that went in thru the weld bead. Just don't know if it's me screwin up or the rod and the other welders are having the same problem, just not nearly as bad as I am. I'll try an get a pic of the cap an yall tell me what ya think I might be doing wrong.
Parent - - By downhandonly (***) Date 07-15-2009 04:58 Edited 07-15-2009 05:11
8p+ sucks plain and simple. the good news is if your inspector is a welder he knows it sucks. the bad news is it seems to be taking the place of 70+ so you better get good at running it. lol. just keep an eye out for the pin holes on the way down and try to back up quick and catch them before its too late. I've ran that rod on the last couple big inch jobs and have tried everything. it's funny cause I've seen guys hoarding cans of rod with the batch number they think is good and the whole works. bottom line is this rod carries so much metal down the side pin holes in your cap are going to happen at times. try not to fill too much before you cap and see how that works. better yet, work yourself into a hot pass seat and let the backend worry about it. lol
    here's a pic of a 24" sourgas line I capped this past winter with 8p+ 3/16". no reruns on this one!
Parent - By thewelder (***) Date 07-17-2009 06:22
Nice pic.
Parent - By leterburn (**) Date 07-15-2009 05:42
run 8p+ too hot and you'll have troubles (especially watch blisters on bottom tiein).... run too cold and you get pinholes - get it in the sweet spot and there ain't nothing like it...   in my experience. 
DL
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 8P+