Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Probably a totally illegal way to fish but...
- - By Oregon Jake (**) Date 07-16-2009 05:04
... what if you went to a river and stretched out 50' of welding lead upstream, 50' feet of welding lead out downstream, and turned your engine drive welder up full blast?
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 07-16-2009 06:30
You would probably see a veeeeery large grin emanating from the game warden's face as he withdrew his ticket book to start writing his dissertation on the evils of "Electrical" fishing. Definitely a very funny mental picture is brought to mind with your suggestion. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 07-16-2009 12:46
Hello darren, I guess I need to get out more so that I can enjoy some of the more varied ways to fish. Thanks for sharing. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 07-16-2009 12:53
I have seen folks bring up earthworms with two ends of a 110 AC extension cord attached to two pieces of coat hanger sunk into the ground and separated by about 10"....  The worms about leaped out of the dirt.

Do not try this at home as it sounds like a dangerous thing to do.
Parent - - By mountainman (***) Date 07-16-2009 16:43
It's funny you mention that. That is how my brother and I caught worms for fishing when I was around 7 or 8 years old....aaaaww the memorie( We didn't like each other much, so occasionally we would sword fight with them plugged in)
Parent - By FixaLinc (****) Date 07-18-2009 20:32
Was a science story in news recently about some college kids doing a summer project trying to shock a huge rare possibly extinct giant earth worm from the ground up in Idaho.  Sounded like a old folklore story to me from 1890s about a giant 3 foot long monster earth worm lol.  Imagine what kind of fish you could catch with that worm!
Parent - - By OBEWAN (***) Date 07-16-2009 12:55
They had a game warden on the news a couple of days ago.  He had some kind of electrical stun gun hanging in the water off his boat.  The fish would float to the top of the water alive but disabled.  He scooped them up with a net to measure and inspect, and then threw them back into the water.  There were some huge bass too!
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 07-16-2009 14:12
Hello OBEWAN, There is a lake not far from me called: Lake Mayfield, Tiger Muskie were introduced into it some years ago. One of the ways that they monitor the progress of these fish is to go out at night and "shock" the water as you have described. It brings the fish to the surface in a stunned state so that they can categorize them by weight, length, and other pertinent information. I was told that they do this at night due to the feeding habits of this particular species, apparently they stay deep during the day and come closer to the surface to feed at night. All pretty interesting stuff. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-16-2009 14:41
Allan,
They do that here on some of fishing lakes and the fishing is poor for several days afterwards. No bites.
Parent - By Smokin_1 (**) Date 07-17-2009 17:03
i always thought that was what my welder was for. You mean there is another way to catch fish?
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Probably a totally illegal way to fish but...