Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / filler metal for steel.
- - By hondo Date 07-15-2009 21:49
Help!  For either D1.1 or D1.5, I need an approved filler metal for ASTM A7 for SMAW or FCAW processes.  Additionally, I need the same info for ASTM A242 steel.  Thank you.
Parent - - By hondo Date 07-16-2009 12:16
I have bridges, from time to time, to repair.  Right now, cracks are reported.  Please assist me in finding suitable electrodes.  Thank you.
Parent - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 07-16-2009 13:13
Will that be the same material as you mentioned in your first post?
In order to get a good solid answer, people will need as many detailes as possible.

I think you should take the time to edit your post and give as much information you can, pictures dont hurt either.

A good and well written question will usually give you PLENTY of highly qualified answers :)

Parent - - By HgTX (***) Date 07-16-2009 15:27
You're going to have trouble finding something that is already "approved" because these are historical steels and thus not listed in the current codes.  However, you can do your best to find something appropriate, and then gain approval from the proper authorities.

This is an excellent resource, and only costs $10:
http://www.aisc.org/store/p-725-field-welding-to-existing-steel-structures.aspx

Hg
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-16-2009 22:42
ASTM A7 steel was used for riveted and bolted structures  built in the "50's" and earlier. The specification did not specify chemistry, only tensile and yield strength, thus it's weldability varied from one heat to another. Sulfur and phosphorus were not controlled, nor carbon, so, while one heat may have contained low sulfur and low phosphorus and was easily welded, the next heat may crack when you welded it and looked at it "cross -eyed".

The best you can do is send  samples out for chemical analysis and make sure your test results list those three element in particular. Once you know the chemistry you can make an informed decision on the weldability and what precautions are necessary.

Remember, it is highly unlikely (make that impossible) that the all plate, channels, angles, etc. to come from the same heat. So, while one piece is weldable with no problems expected based on chemistry, the member riveted or bolted to it may be virtually unweldable because of high sulfur, phosphorus, or carbon, or all three! In other words, the chemistry of each member that will be welded is needed.

You may want to use the Annex in the back of D1.1 to determine the preheat necessary based on the chemistry and thickness of the base metal being welded.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 07-29-2009 13:14
Al,
That is an excellent response to the original question. You clearly have had experience with the material in question.
There is no replacing such experience.
Just how much of this material were you involved with in the 50's?  :)
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-29-2009 15:15
While I was still too young to be a welding in the 40's or the 50's,  I do have considerable experience working in various mills that were built in the 20's, 30's, 40's, and yes, even the early 50's.

A36 was developed in the early 40's for enhanced weldability and to circumvent the fixed pricing structure established by the government to prevent anyone from profiteering during the Second World War. A36 was not included in the pricing because it didn't exist when the committee set up the fixed prices companies could charge.

One company that I worked for did a lot of work in the old mills during the 60's and 70's. Their engineer would have us perform a couple of weldability tests in the field before finalizing the connection details. He would have us weld a "tab" on to the existing structure in several key locations. The tab would essentially be nothing more than a piece of 1/2 inch thick plate measuring 4 x 4 inches. Once welded to the structure, we would smack it with a sledge hammer until it fractured. Sounds like a fillet break test doesn't it? We would send the tabs back to him and he would determine if the connections could be welded or bolted based on the fracture. If the weld failed by breaking out of the structural member, it was concluded the chemistry wasn't conducive to welding and the connections would be drilled and bolted. If the fillet weld fractured in the area of the throat, the structural steel would be considered as weldable and the connections welded.

The engineer's name was Dave Rickter. I'm sure the spelling is incorrect. He's been retired from the business for many years, but I learned a lot working with that company as an apprentice Ironworker. There's nothing like working in old plants to gain experience in a wide variety of rigging, fabrication, and erection problems. There was a lot of hoisting using "chuggers", chain falls, and "hand crabs". Fabrication on the site was common, providing me with experience in layout and fitting as well. It was hard work, but it was interesting work.

I prefer sending out samples for chemical analysis when practical. I figure any connection that could potentially fail and cause property damage or endangers people is worth the $50.00 it costs for the chemical analysis. The cost of having someone remove a small sample for testing is no more expensive than welding a tab and breaking it. While my method of testing the steel for weldability is different from what I learned as a young Ironworker, the reason for doing the test has not changed.

By the way, thanks for the compliment young "whippersnapper". ;)

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 07-29-2009 15:53
I know what you mean about the old mills. I spent some time with Wyman Gordon in Houston. They have the entire history of materials, welding, pipe manufacturing, testing, etc., a vast, and I mean vast, store of knowledge (research, data, tech papers), volumes and volumes, sittin around in dusty boxes and shelves, in an upstairs storage room of their research facility just waiting to be rediscovered, as I did. I can't tell you how much stuff I copied and copied.  I was like a kid in a candy store.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-29-2009 17:22
I've spent many long days and weekends working on some of their presses over the years. I've been involved with inspecting the presses and repairing them when the need arose. I've worked in their plants in New Jersey, North Grafton and their Houston facility. The Houston facility used to be "Camaron" before they were purchased by W-G.

I hated the summer weather in Houston, but I used to enjoy the food at a barbecue place not too far from their Houston plant. I think it was it called "Carl's". They had a stuffed baked potato that was a meal by itself! Now if they could only schedule the work for the winters!

I would love to have just a small portion of the collective knowledge those people have acquired over the many years they've been in business!

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 07-29-2009 18:54
Carl's it is. On the feeder. Great brisket too. Also, the Hacienda right down the road on Telge for the best enchiladas I have ever had. Kicks the crap outa Pappasitos. And cheaper too.
WG was then purchased by PCC based in Portland. I think the next time someone wants to unload it, it will be the end.
That operation at one time had near 4000 people. 500 acres. Other than production facilities, chem lab, research lab, mechanical testing lab, heat treat furnaces up the wazoo, they had a driving range, baseball diamonds, soccer field, weight room, olympic swimming pool, and an RV park. It was an employees dream. Now, all that is left is the driving range, the diamonds used and maintained by a little league, and a graveyard of an RV park. And they are sellin off property to make bottom line. Pipe fab was eliminated, I believe aerospace forgings are still strong but in extrusions Manessmann and Sumitomo are kickin ther azz on quality. The presses are old. But if you've seen that 35,000 ton vertical press work it is still an awesome thing to witness.
Usually around 500 people or so are employed there now. Sometimes a bit more. Its bleeding to death by paper cuts. The plant Union is a criminal travesty. The Seniority system is the most screwed up nest of corruption I've ever seen. The best people (and they had the best in the industry at one time-still a few good ones there) have run to the hills on em.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-29-2009 21:25
I can only speak for Carl's. I haven't been to the others mentioned.

That's one thing we here in New England could use, that's a good barbeque!

Best regards - Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / filler metal for steel.