Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Air Shop Vac for oily stuff
- - By FixaLinc (****) Date 07-17-2009 21:05
Finally got me one of those suction guns for picking up aluminum, brass, and stainless oily shavings a magnet won't pick up.  Now don't have to stoop with brush and dust pan or mess up my other shop vac with oily stuff.  Just use regular vacuum attachments.  I had old shop vac hose and attachments kept and used those plumbing it to a 5 gallon bucket with a old engine air cleaner air outlet or can put it into a barrel too.  Another local guy plumbed his with swimming pool hose.

http://tool.wttool.com/search?p=Q&ts=custom&uid=956095168&srid=S9-2&nodecode=true&af=&do=search&do=search&w=vacuum+gun&x=0&y=0
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 07-18-2009 02:36
Let us know how it works out. I use an old junky shop vac, but the hose is not smooth inside so it clogs up really easily. I have to shove a rod through it from time to time.
Parent - - By FixaLinc (****) Date 07-18-2009 05:13
It works okay so far but sure does use the air fast.   I need some smoother hose too.  Thinking might look at some of that rubber or plastic pump hose or swimming pool pump hose like other guy used.  I might just eventually plumb out a pipe through the wall and let it dump into a barrel. 
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 07-19-2009 05:23
I have PVC hose on My trash pump that is smooth on the inside, flexable enough [when new] and reasonably transparent. There is a harder PVC spiral on the outside that keeps it from sucking shut. This was lighter and cheaper than the flexable PVC that is smooth on the inside and outside that is used on pools & spas. Might be a good choice.
Parent - By FixaLinc (****) Date 07-20-2009 18:37
Yes that's what I was thinking of using some of that spiral pump hose if find some flexible enough.  We get clear spiral poly suction hoses now for fire trucks that is real flexible but that's too big and it's expensive too. 
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Air Shop Vac for oily stuff