Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Training
- - By paul 3 (*) Date 07-13-2009 12:43
I am a new cwi, made 1 year in july, I've been working as a cwi for 8 months now for BP. I enjoy what I do and I'm trying to learn as much as I can, would it be wise to take a level I, II class in mag at this point in my career even thought I'm not doing mag work on the job? I've never done mag, I have witnessed it several times, I know I would benefit from the class room training, my question is how long are the hours of training good for if I don't pick up on the job man hours required to get certified by ASNT?
Parent - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 07-13-2009 18:13
All training is good, and without looking I don’t think training has an expiration time limit.
MT is a good place to start, if you can afford the training id say take it.
MDK
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 07-13-2009 19:22
I also think the training hours is valid for life, I have a friend who just completed UT level II 15 years after taking level I (LOL)
He agreed that it's bad idea to wait that long.

Since you are doing well in your new CWI career (I assume so since you have been 8 months the same place) why don't you go to the next step....coating inspection, API, classes about PWHT, materials, etc...Expand your knowledge a bit.

"Soon" you will find yourself in a rewarding job position, which often is rewarded with a nice check each month :)

Good luck with whatever you do....

Parent - By trapdoor (**) Date 07-13-2009 19:47
I would say yes, get the training now and when the opportunity to gain your on the job experience comes you are ready. If it is a long time after your classroom training you can refresh by reading your training material.
Parent - By Arctic 510 (**) Date 07-15-2009 01:05
I agree with 3.2, get some API certs, and soak up everything (education and experience are equally important, IMO) you can. 
Parent - By michael kniolek (***) Date 07-14-2009 20:52 Edited 07-14-2009 21:08
If I were to consider A training  program to take I'd consider concrete construction inspection,MT, and NACE certs
this is why. I worked for a company that made bridge bearings (they moved and I opted not to go family), I still talk to them occasionally and they tell me that business is off the chart. Id bet that 25% of the bearings for Rehabs and new construction is coming out of that place. So, with that in mind I would assume that concrete construction inspection would be good as lots of these bearings sit on concrete.
Then id consider NACE(painting/coating) because most inspection agencies I've dealt with would always want to grab the whole inspection contract . So to get your foot in the door with a good agency get NACE certs,CWI,Concrete certs,and MT training.
MT is more likely the ceapest id do that 1st
http://www.hellierndt.com/magnetic-particle-testing-levels1-2.html

But i always think about where do i go if the current situation no longer suites me, and I know there is stimulus money for lots if not tons of semi long term gigs out there in the bridge relm.
http://events.nace.org/education/certification/cip/CIPbrochure07.pdf

MDK
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 07-14-2009 22:21 Edited 07-17-2009 03:02
Based on your post, I am assuming you obtained your CWI through welding experience.

A few considerations for you first:
The CWI is no different than the welding. You learn new processes and techniques to expand your knowledge and marketability.
With that said, your thinking along the right path, but you should consider what industry or industries it is you wish to work in.
You should also allow for the fact that nearly all industries ebb and flow over time, and if you tie yourself to just one, your going
to find yourself tied to the inherent slow periods of that industry, and not just the highs.
Most of the major industries can also represent facets of others.

I break down the major industries as follows:

Energy: Petroleum, Nuclear power, fossil power, solar power, wind power, tidal power, hydro power etc.
Mining: Minerals and metals and all the associated apparatus to get it out of the ground.
Naval: Surface ships, Boats, and nearly anything that utilizes water as a means of transporting either civilian goods, or military platforms.
Aerospace: Anything from Cessna's to Moon launches. If it takes flight in any shape form or fashion by design, it qualifies.
Civil: Structural buildings, Bridges, stone work, concrete work, factories, any and all things related to occupied structures, and some non occupied.
Military: In a general sense, anything related to military devices not directly connect to aerospace or naval. (mortar shells, bombs, guns, rifles, tanks, etc)
Ground Based Transportation: Cars, trucks, trains, and anything that utilizes dirt, rock, rails, etc for a means of travel.
Chemical: A broad heading to mean any manufacturing

You'll note that most of the major industries are so intertwined that clear definition is sometimes hard to do, but there are in fact only 8 major industries in the world as far as an inspector is concerned. As a general statement, nearly everything will fall under one or more of the eight listed.
My personal experience is heavy on Energy, Military, Naval, and Aerospace. I've been in aspects of them all, but more so those four.

With that said, the question in regards to mag particle usefulness would be dependant on which of those general headings you wish to work under.
As an example; Mag particle is not as useful to aerospace as it is to some of the others. API certs usually mean nothing to the Mining and in most cases naval, civil and transport.
For that reason, I would suggest getting a more generalized cert if your going for something else.
Your CWI has application in all of them.
NACE certs are utilized in all of them.

For NDE it has to be broken down into probabilities. NDE as a whole is utilized in all of them, but just as is with welding, not all methods/processes transfer very well to all of them, or have limited transferability. Below is a list based on personal experience and observation, with ratings from 10 (Used in all industries heavily in one form or another) to 1 (niche market, used less)

Ultrasound 10
Radiography 10 (for now, but changing soon)
Penetrant 8
Magnetic particle 8
Visual 10
acoustic emissions 5
leak testing 7
nuetron radiography 1
eddy current 6
thermographic 4 (but growing fast)
vibration analysis 6

If you go for an NDE certification, go for one with a 10 first, then down from there, but don't bother with anything less than 7 if you want the maximum transferability.

My opinion for what it's worth,
Gerald
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-17-2009 02:57
Thank you Gerald,

I hope Paul is getting the info he wanted, but I sure appreciate your breakdown of the industry.  Very reasonable.  Thanks for the tips.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By paul 3 (*) Date 07-18-2009 16:40
yes, I'm getting it all, and I really appreciate the replies, I've singed up for a magnetic partical training class for the end of the month. I'm really looking forward to the class. Thanks every one.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 07-18-2009 17:38
The other Gerald (Pipewelder1999) was nice enough to share a link to a welding inspection online training website that is something you ought to at the very least take a look at...

Not that CWI555's info isn't outstanding because IMHO, he's one of the best in here in sharing what he knows regarding matters related to NDT - especially UT which I think is his favorite.;) :) :)

Anywho, Son Set Consultants have a wonderful website which I think will be very helpful in meeting most of your needs... Here's the url:

http://www.weld-procedure.com/sonsetconsultants.html

This is the way training should be put together, and I hope the AWS Certification committee looks at these folks, and incorporates similar presentations because the quality is excellent from a training perspective. I urge everyone to take a look at this site... Great stuff in here for anyone preparing for the exam, or for anyone preparing for their 9 year renewal... The price is right also!!! ;) :) :) Thanks again to both Geralds for sharing some of their collective experiences!!! ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-18-2009 21:55
Thanks Henry,  I had missed that one.  And I agree,  both those gentlemen are top notch and very helpful and informative.

Thanks to all three of you.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Training