Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Got ripped off again today.
- - By Kix (****) Date 07-21-2009 15:20
Someone hacked into my paypal account on saturday and used it to buy something with somone elses credit card.  That someone else happened to have the same last name as me.  Then they bought something for 1004.95 using my primary paypal account, which is my checking account, and had the back up funding source as this ladies credit card in case I didn't have enough money in my account.  Man that's twice now I've been ripped electronically.  I'm sure some of you remember the post I had up here awhile back about my debit card in Miami.
Parent - By drewp29 (**) Date 07-21-2009 20:24 Edited 07-21-2009 20:42
DUDE, paypal has the easiest hacking security flaw I have ever encountered. I have actually written them several e-mails on the subject, and they refuse to acknowledge their programming monkeys made a "HUGE mistake". But, try this: go to paypal, create a new user using the same e-mail address that is linked to your current paypal account. After you enter the information, paypal will tell you that you already have an account with that e-mail address. So, they ask you if you would like to login, in which case say yes, or whatever the option is to login to the existing account. Put in your e-mail address and click the 'forgot password' button. This will take you to a screen that is supposed to be the 'security feature' to regain access to your account. In the drop down menu, select address, then type in the numbers associated with the address on your paypal account (e.g. if you live a 1234 Paradise Way, type in 1234) hit the button to confirm and paypal will ask you to type in your new password and then confirm the new password. Type in whatever you want for your new password and confirm it and hit the button the finalize the new password. Now go back to the paypal home page and type in your e-mail address and new password and voila you are now into your account just by knowing your e-mail address and mailing address! HOLY CRAP . . . the people at paypal must be retarded - in fact that was the subject line of my first e-mail to them, "Are you retarded?".

Everyone should try this and then write an e-mail to paypal to let them know that this is not 'security'.

If you are still going to use paypal, DO NOT link a credit card or bank account to your paypal account. Just try it, I guarantee it will work as described, as long as your account is not a business or premium account, as those have increased security measures.

Drew
Parent - - By drewp29 (**) Date 07-21-2009 22:56
Kix,

Sorry for the double-post, I just wanted to say - that really sucks! My mom has had her identity stolen 2 times in the past three years . . . so I sort of understand where you are coming from. You should have some recourse with paypal though right? Or do they not take responsibility for crap like this?

Drew
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 07-22-2009 12:16
Yeah, they are investigating and have returned the funds to the ladies credit card and are working on my checking account.  I hope someone told the lady that her credit card has been stolen while all this has been happening.
Parent - - By drewp29 (**) Date 07-22-2009 17:27
I only discovered the security flaw because I didn't remember ever creating a paypal account, and when I went to create a new account it told me I already had one. So I just innocently tried to reset my password and was amazed at how easy it was to gain access to my account!

At least you're not out the grand they tried to steal - that's a lot of dough. I guess it will only take so many hacked accounts to make paypal realize that they do indeed have a security flaw, its just too bad for the people that have to bear the burden of their ineptitude.

They danced around the subject when they responded to my e-mails, never really addressing the problem directly. Hopefully they fix the problem soon, for everyone's sake.

Drew
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 07-23-2009 13:07
Yeah hopefully they do because I've got a good rank on ebay and paypal is the big transaction maker for just about everyone who wants to sell something.  I'd really hate to have to drop paypal, but if this crap keeps happening, they're gone!!
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Got ripped off again today.