Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / AISC certification
- - By david bean (**) Date 07-15-2009 13:26
Greetings

Hey, my boss approched me yesterday and asked me to look into getting AISC certified.  I am just starting to research this and  was hoping i could find some valuable info here.  We are currently approved thru LA City and Clark County, we have a good reputation and are ready to take the next step.

Regards
David J Bean
Parent - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 07-15-2009 15:10 Edited 07-15-2009 15:58
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-15-2009 15:38
David,
Once you get more into this, I expect that you will have specific questions...come on back and ask, there are several of us here who have been through the AISC audits for many years and can help.
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 07-17-2009 10:27
You will want to determine which level of certification your company will want; building, simple bridge, major bridge( I assume you are a fabricator). They also have certifications for erectors.  Then there are additional "endorsements" to add to those; fracture critical, special paint endorsement.
If you don't have any paint facilities or painters, you won't need to bother going after that, but being in CA you may want to consider the fracture critical, but you don't have to have it.
You will nedd to have specific aspects of how your company operates in written procedures, submitted to AISC/QMC for a document audit that they do in Chicago, before anyone walks into your facility.
BTW, QMC= Quality Management Company is owned by AISC,=American Institute of Steel Construction, and both are out of Chicago, in fact I belive they are in the same building, just different floors.  QMC will do the audit, and either recommend or not recommend to AISC that you met the requirements to be certified or not.
Now, QMC sub contracts out the auditing to the auditiors.  SOme auditiors only work for QMC, others do audits for both QMC and others such as ISO.
This should get you started, I just had my Major Bridge audit two weeks ago, its still fresh in my memory (and yes we passed).
Chris
Parent - - By david bean (**) Date 07-23-2009 12:45
Ok thanks for the info, I am sending in the Pre application today, I am sure I will have more questions later.

Thanks Again
David J Bean
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 07-23-2009 15:11
I would highly recommend contacting Atema as posted earlier, if you are just starting out. They will help develop your manual and your program. And also train if necessary. And the people I have had experience with are top caliber.
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 07-23-2009 16:26
Atema is good - most of their folks have either been QMC auditors, or invloved with AISC in various capacities, or worked with them.  They do know their subject matter very well.

Don't overlook calling QMC directly as well.  You'll find thier staff to be very helpful.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 07-23-2009 16:37
I have found QMC to be very friendly and helpful as well.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / AISC certification