Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / prevailing wage
- - By mcavana (**) Date 07-10-2003 21:54
how do i find out what the prevailing wage is for my current position? I am a HVAC mechanic (pipe welder) in Jacksonville, Florida (duval county)

thanks for your help.

mike
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 07-11-2003 09:22
Try here

http://www.acinet.org/acinet/wages2.asp?soccode=514121&stfips=12&MSA=02-003600&x=62&y=4

Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics, Occupational Employment Statistics Survey; Florida Agency for Workforce Innovation

G Austin
Parent - - By mcavana (**) Date 07-11-2003 20:22
thanks. this does suck though.... wish i had know about this web site a few years ago before i got into welding!!!!
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 07-11-2003 22:00
It depends on your wage falls on the list.

G Austin
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 07-12-2003 12:01
I would'nt become discouraged based on the statistics because, first of all you have to consider that these stats are based on averages.
Another point you have to consider is that the so-called "prevailing wage" for union and non-union HVAC mechanics (Pipe Welder) vary depending even to which union we're talking about (Pipefitter/Plumber or Steamfitters locals).

Again, when you consider moving from Florida to let's say, New Jersey.
You will definitely notice a change in the "prevailing wages"!!!

I hope this encourages you to "stay the course"!
Besides, there's more to welding than just welding pipe especially when it comes to the science of welding, and the art of welding!!! I mean, somebody's got to inspect the welds, improve methods of welding, etc. Also somebody has to be around to provide a neat tax shelter for the rich by providing them the metal-welded sculptures that incidently, can make you alot of money!!! Finally, someone's got to be around in order to teach this wonderful craft in it's own right, to all those people that want to learn and apply their new found talent, and creativity!!!

This is a very honorable craft, and I'm greatful and proud at the same time, to be privilaged enough to say this to you!!!
Stick around!!! I promise to you that it'll be worth it if you do!!!

Respectfully,

SSBN727 Run Silent... Run Deep!!!
Parent - - By mcavana (**) Date 07-13-2003 02:38
ssbn727

i do love welding. i have been at it full time for about 3 years, and i do consider it to be an art form. Every pipe I weld is more beautiful than the last. it is not the statistics that are discouraging me, it is the situation i find myself in. The wages made here in florida are simply pathedic. true the cost of living is less here than most places, but even counting that the wages are still horrible. I love florida, and will not move. i have a wife and two kids, one with some medical troubles so traveling at this point is out of the question. I don't plan to leave welding yet, but i have begun to think about it. I see all of my friends doing jobs that require a SMALL fraction of the skill and hard work making plenty more than me. Plus, on top of that i know that welding is not the best job for me physicly (speaking of health problems it SOMETIMES causes in time). I don't know what I am going to do.... Sure the inspection jobs, and teaching jobs are something to consider, but those would both be a long way off. i am looking at where i am now, and where i need to be now. Anyways...... thank you for your thoughts. for the time being until i figure this thing out i will stick to my motto: "JUST WELD IT!"

mike

Parent - - By brucearnold Date 07-14-2003 20:33
Mike,
There are other options you might not be thinking of. Inspections is one way, but inspection on what? That is where the deciding factor comes in. Should you be a third party inspector for the DOT (Requires a CWI for most states) or work at getting your National Board Certification and inspect pressure vessels. They are everywhere. From many of the restuaurants you eat at (including McDonalds) to the Commercial fabrication shops. Having the welding as a base is just the start. There are some schools in Fla. that help you with the NB. After being an Authorized inspector for a year and you feel a little froggy, go for the Nuclear inspector...It is endless...

Semper Fi!
Parent - By mcavana (**) Date 07-14-2003 22:52
brucearnold,

I know i would have to go to more school to be an inspector (which wouldn't be a problem), but doesn't it also require allot more time under the hood than i have? what kind of money does an inspector make? I can't even find the prevailing wage at the above site to give me a hint. If i were able to do the cwi with my limited experience would anyone hire me? This does sound like an interesting option, I do consider myself to be smarter than the average joe (despite my horrible spelling). There has got to be something better out there for me....

thanks,
mike
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / prevailing wage