Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Looking for some advice with a short, thick plate....UT
- - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-28-2009 15:46
I have a shear lug (full pen to the base plate) that is too short and thick to get adequate sound coverage for my liking.

...or am I missing something?<-very likely

2.5" thick, 4" wide (no wiggle room for my transducer even with a 45°, I can barely get a look at it in the first leg, and hardly at all with the 60° or 70°)

How would you report this after you have taken a good scan of this joint?
Parent - By kipman (***) Date 07-28-2009 18:35
John,
I'm not visualizing 100% what your configuration is.  I'd plot it out 1:1 on a piece of paper and use a clear plastic overlay with angles to see if there are any other surfaces on which you can throw a ducer to get some coverage.
Mankenberg
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 07-28-2009 19:42
There are other ways to get to it. Does your shop allow for W.I.'s in your procedure or annex S alterations? (assuming D1.1)
Some of the alternate ways would be round trip tandem, shallower angles, through the plate T or S wave, through the lug etc. there are a lot of options, let me know.

Regards,
Gerald
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-28-2009 19:57
The other side of the base plate with straight beam is a no-go....huge pipe column cut on a steep skew and welded to that side. One thing that helps a little is it is a TC-U5b, so I'm getting the root covered with the 45° when I scan from both sides of the shear lug....and very little with the 60°....70° doesn't get much at all.(used an overlay in autocad)

Gerald, I don't have any other wedges other than the 45/60/70, so using other steeper angles are out. 
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 07-28-2009 21:05
Just so I am clear on what your looking at, is the attached sketch what your describing? (no cad at home, so very rough sketch)
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-29-2009 11:00
Yes. That shear lug is as long as the base plate is wide...(in your view, going in/out of the computer screen)

I've never had one that was as wide as the base plate, usually they are much shorter.

I just want to verify these welds because either an Engineer is very concerned about the loading or has way over-engineered this thing.

The pipe column has a 5/16" fillet weld to the base plate, yet this hug shear lug is full pen to the base plate. In my simplton mind, I see the pipe shearing away from the baseplate long before anything happens to that shear lug that will be grouted into the concrete.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-29-2009 13:11
Well our engineer seemed less concerned about the UT than I was, so he's helped me relax just a bit. Based on shear he can only count on(design wise) 60% of the weakest link(base material), so the full pen weld was an overkill by large proportions(it's not his design though). He said if I miss a little something that he isn't at all concerned, just so that it isn't something grossly wrong. So given that, I am getting some sound where I need it with the 45°, so I'll continue on and make a note on my report about the 60° and 70° being ineffective due to the lack of wiggle room.
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 07-29-2009 13:16
Out of curiousity, why couldn't you have shot an Lwave through the lug itself?
Parent - By kipman (***) Date 07-29-2009 13:18
That was my thought also.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-29-2009 15:14
Maybe I could....I'd have to address the finish with a grinder to get it smooth enough to get a good couple.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-30-2009 11:25 Edited 07-30-2009 11:28
OK here is a pic that I snapped while it was still on the table, hadn't cleaned up the mild spatter so please ignore all of that.

Edit: the 2.5" thick shear lug is the plate to the right in this pic.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Looking for some advice with a short, thick plate....UT