Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / API And D1.1
- - By Jriley1972 (*) Date 07-28-2009 20:50
Recently the company I work for went through our API audit for the 4F and Q1 licensing.  During the audit the inspector ask to see my AWS D1.1 book.  I promptly handed him my 2008 version.  He promptly told me that it was wrong and I needed to have the 2002 version.  I pretty much had a deer in the headlight look at this point.  Specially after he told me it needed to also have written on it "Obsolete but to be used for API 4F purposes only"....well I called up the folks at the AWS bookstore and that lovely lady overnighted me the 2002 version 500.00 later.  (I got 2002 and 2008 on a flash drive while I was there) I proudly presented this to the API auditor the next day but he said it's still a finding.  I ask him why or what is the difference.  He answered me with "I don't know."  He did call API and supposedly its going up the ladder on why the 2002 version was referenced.  I reviewed API 4F completely the only time it specifically refers to the AWS D1.1:2002 is when  in section 10.5 Weld Properties: "For ASTM and API steels, corresponding weld metal and HAZ are defined in Tables C-4.1 and C-4.2 of AWS D1.1:2002.  I checked, the tables are the same.  I called AWS and asked if they knew anything....I was told to ask API. 

Does anyone have any ideas or had this finding with API....I even got the auditor wondering now.
Parent - By HgTX (***) Date 07-29-2009 15:10
I have nothing useful to add, just wanted to express sympathy for your encounter with stoopidity and lack of common sense.

Hg
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / API And D1.1