Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / cracks in pipe
- - By 1mancrew (**) Date 08-01-2009 06:04
I have 2X now in the past couple of weeks had cracks on the bottom of some 2" sched. 40 pipe. One was a pipe to a 90 the other a pipe to a WOL. I and the company man thought that I could be hot passing a little too hot and making the pipe brittle. BTW I am beading (all downhill) with 5P+ and hot, fill and cap with 70+. The cracks formed on the edge of the weld not, in it. A freind of mine suggested that chinese manufactured pipe is very succeptable to this. Happened to him on a flow line (2") and to a couple other guys in the area. Is there anything to this theory or am I doing something wrong all of a sudden? I'm getting a little frustrated so any input would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks, in advance for the valuable input!

GH Weidman
Parent - - By Johnyutah (**) Date 08-01-2009 06:51
If the outfit supplies the fittings and there foreign and the fittings fail outside of your weld just put your hands in the air and walk away. If the pipe and fittings are foreign then who knows thats stupid to stand behind it at all IMHO just say the weld is still there and solid quite cutting corners on materials.
Parent - - By RUSSELL (**) Date 08-01-2009 06:56
Can't do nothing about it.Foreign pipe & fittings are always bad.
Parent - - By 1mancrew (**) Date 08-01-2009 15:54
Thanks again for the replies. Has any one else had the same problem with chinese pipe and fittings? And, if so what is it specifically that would make these more prone to cracking? I would just like to know so I can tell the folks I working for exactly what is taking place.

Thanks,

GH Weidman
Parent - By MBSims (****) Date 08-01-2009 16:47
Any similarity between the chemical and mechanical properties of chinese made steel and the specification that is marked on the pipe is purely coincidental.
Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 08-01-2009 16:53
I would not say "always".  Not all foreign made materials are bad.  There are a few countries where graft is a common practice that usually produce bad product.  But there are others (europe, japan) that have some very good product.  Don't let the bad practices of the industry in one or two countries influence your opinion of all the others that do make good products.  However, it is wise to use caution for any manufacturer, regardless of country of origin (including U.S.), that you have no prior experience with.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 08-01-2009 18:08
Excellent advice!

Respectfully,
Henry
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / cracks in pipe