Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / PIPE WELDING SS PIPE NEED SOME ADVICE PEOPLE
- - By vantage500man (**) Date 08-01-2009 17:35
Might have an opportunity to weld some 1/2 wall ss pipe 3 to 12 inch.... I have never had an opportunity to weld ss pipe but have welded plenty of ss plate with ss rod
So my question is!!! Is welding ss pipe just like running steel pipe and if not what should I look for to do it properly and is there any pre heat involved in the summer  Do you set it up to weld just like steel pipe root and all and just weld it out all the way with ss rod any pointers would be helpful people thank you Bear
Parent - - By cmays (***) Date 08-01-2009 19:07
with stainless youre leaving out alot of info.
What is your joint design?
What type of stainless is it?
where is it going?
what is it going to be used for?
Just a shot in the dark but, does the customer want it welded using their wps?
If the joint design is open grove youre gonna need to tig your roots, make purge gas dams or get purge gas dams.
If its going to be x-rayed, youre gonna have to use hi-freq starts and if it is and youve never welded stainless pipe properly, you might save you some money and pass this job up.
Stainless can be ruined very easily if you dont know what your doing. Too much heat in the part and youre toast. Man i could go on for hours but, you need to get or provide more info bro.
Parent - - By vantage500man (**) Date 08-01-2009 20:45
Okay It will be water or steam pipe and about 300 psi I'm sure it will be beveled
I don't have or do tig so can this stuff be done with rod just asking
It is a steel pipe job but the man says there might be some ss pipe to tie in so I ********t a little saying I can do, hoping it would not be to complicated
I would never do anything that would hurt people due to me trying some thing I can't due properly I will just get some one who can
2nd if I am inside or out of the wind can it be mig and wire feed it with 75/25 gas
Parent - - By 522029 (***) Date 08-01-2009 23:52
I won't say you cannot do this with only   SMAW   but you are going to have your hands full.

Griff
Parent - - By vantage500man (**) Date 08-02-2009 00:49
will is using a mig better the rod what makes rod so hard to use
Parent - - By mightymoe (**) Date 08-02-2009 01:40
Does the customer have their own wps for the job? If so you need to check to see what processes are allowed for the root pass, and fill/cap.
Will it be x-rayed?
Parent - By vantage500man (**) Date 08-02-2009 02:29
No this is just a mechanical contractor doing some work locally and needed a welder to do some tie ins no xray im sure just visual and hold up pasts 300 to 400 psi
Parent - - By jeff parker (**) Date 08-02-2009 01:51
the rod likes to dig on you and also it is trashy welding. you can make a good looking weld with it if you have the know how but  if you dont then it will surely burn the pipe up and turn it black and it is just nasty looking in my opinion I like to TIG all of the stainless's beware of the razor sharp slag that likes to pop off the weld at you after you break the arc.
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 08-02-2009 12:26
Vantage500man,
Please do not take offence but you should not be even thinking of attempting this.
There are certain things that should be done only by competent people and if you think it may be acceptable to put a root run in a s/s pipe with SMAW then you do not fall into that category.
Pressures of 300-400 psi for water will fall under ASME B31.3 NFS (or AWWA) or steam will be ASME B31.1 and these will require qualified welding procedures, qualified welders and some random NDT.
Regards,
Shane
Parent - By scrappywelds (***) Date 08-03-2009 10:24
in my opinion ss stick is a repair rod only!! I hate running it!! If it was me 100% TIG all the way with a 100% argon purge.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / PIPE WELDING SS PIPE NEED SOME ADVICE PEOPLE