Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / d17.1 aluminum tube question
- - By joe davis (*) Date 08-03-2009 16:48
hello everyone im new to the forum, a little about me: im currently enrolled as a  student at central texas college welding school and have found myself in a position at work to earn a promotion. the catch is the d17.1 tube test in stainless steel, inco, and aluminum, 6g. Now with all that said aluminum is kickin my tail. I can traverse the tube well with a uniform bead and 100% penetration using straight argon, but iwas having problem with hydrogen porosity (sand look beneath the surface), so a senior welder here advised me to use 75% argon 25% helium as my sheilding gas and it should clear up my porosity. i switched ou bottles now no matter what i do im to hot.on top to achieve full penetration, or when i get the top right i get no penetration.........Any thoughts?

thanks
                                                                                                                 Joe
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-03-2009 18:10
Clean, clean, clean.

Degrease all pieces with acetone followed by an isopropyl alcohol (90% min.) rinse.

Wire brush all pieces using a solvent cleaned austenitic stainless steel brush. Push the brush in one direction and lift on the return stroke. Push toward the weld joint.

Draw file the groove face and root face with a Vixen file that has be solvent cleaned.

Keep your stinking, dirty, oily fingers off the areas you just cleaned! Why, I can't tell you, but there is an overwhelming urge by nearly all welders (myself included) to run their finger over the groove face after cleaning it. Maybe it is to check for burrs or whatever. Resist the urge to do so. Finger prints are the kiss of death!

Try a little experiment. Look at your thumb nail in the light. It is somewhat shiny, but still it is dull looking. Now rub your thumb nail beside your nose and tell me how it looks. That gloss is from the oils that are in your skin to keep it soft and flexible. That oil doesn't help when it comes to welding.

Clean, clean, clean. After all the wire brushing and draw filing, rinse off all the joint surfaces with the 90% isopropyl alcohol and let it air dry. Don't use compressed air, it contains lubricating oil and moisture, both sources of hydrogen.

Porosity is usually linked with a source of hydrogen if the pore is silver. If the pore is discolored, I would look for a shielding problem or other sources of surface contamination.

Use a Zirconiated tungsten with aluminum when using AC, use 2% Thoriated with a tapered end if welding with DCEN.

Clean, clean, clean, this includes your filler metal. I prefer to clean the filler metal with cleaned stainless steel wool pads.

DO NOT CLEAN with aluminum oxide based abrasive materials, i.e., grinding disks, Scotch-brite, etc.

Good luck.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By Ke1thk (**) Date 08-03-2009 18:16
Joe,

Welcome.  It sounds like you're running two passes on an aluminumn tube.  The root pass is fine while the next pass has porosity.  I don't know what process.

I'd use straight argon if I were using GTAW.  I'd make sure the part was very clean (wire brush and acetone) between passes.  Also, let the part cool down between passes (275", I think for aluminum) by checking the part with a temp stick.

Good Luck,

Keith
Parent - - By pataterchip (**) Date 08-03-2009 22:02
All the above is spot on especially the Cleaning part. Another thing you can do to cool down the pass is tweak the balance function (I assume you are using AC) I usually set mine between 70%-80% but remember lower balance %= more cleaning action from the ark and less penetration, a vise versa for higher balance settings. Another tip that might help is the angle of your torch you should have a straight or slightly forward angle. Keep in mind that 17.1 will except either 0.060" - 0.090" pore size depending on thickness spending some time in Table 6.1 will be a big help for you as some porosity is very inherent to welding aluminum and subsurface porosity will be present in most welds. I have found that extinguishing the ark slowly will help with porosity in the final weld pool.

Based on what you stated I would go back to straight argon and preheat the test coupon it may sound odd but warming up the part (as much as 250 degrees) especially if it is in excess of 1/4" material thickness will give the hydrogen a little more time to escape and will yield much less porosity you can do this with either 100% argon or the mix you mentioned just don't go outside your procedure. We have to do this in parts that get "O" ring grooves machined in as we have a zero defect requirement.

Hope this helps.
Parent - - By joe davis (*) Date 08-04-2009 13:04
great advice from everyone thank you. i will go back to argon and clean clean clean!!! I look foreward to picking your brains again in the future thanksagain
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 08-08-2009 02:48 Edited 08-08-2009 02:51
Joe

The sandy "rough" appearence on the surface on the aluminum welds (assuming perfect prep) can also be a sign of overheating the weld pool.

aluminum becomes soluable to hydrogen when molten...  When the puddle freezes the Hy is ejected (squeezed out).. However if their is too much heat, more and more Hy becomes absorbed, soon the point comes when it cannot all be ejected at the point of freezing.  This is one of the main causes of Hy poroisty in aerospace quality aluminum welds.

Heat sinks are a good ploy... Unfortunatly not always an easy thing to do with tube.

Fast travel speeds are the best way to control the aluminum... This comes only with practice..  Hot and fast is the key... This will produce a much better final weld than slow and colder.

Lastly.. Use the largest size filler metal rod that can do the job.. The larger rod will cool the puddle to a significant extent..

I have some extensive experiance with this particular issue as I was the welding instructor at United Airlines for many years and also a journeyman repair welder for them for an equal amount of time.

Hot and fast joe..  Try this technique in flat plate that is the same thickness as your pipe just to get a feel for the speed you can carry and still get proper fusion at the root.

Also.. Many folks forget to file/clean the root faces on the test pieces/joints..  Aerospace quality aluminum welds can be contaminated even on a 0.040 sheet face if the shear or cutter leaves any roughness or lubricant.. 

Argon should be fine.. an no root purge should be needed... Unless specified in the WPS..  X-ray quality can and is be produced on a daily basis without.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / d17.1 aluminum tube question