Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.6 Fillet Weld WQR
- - By drewp29 (**) Date 07-30-2009 20:00 Edited 07-30-2009 20:11
So I need to run a Welder Qualification to D1.6 guidelines:

Electrode: ER308LSi (tri-mix 90% He, 7.5% Ar, 2.5% CO2)

Edit: Base Metal: A-36 (can be substituted for stainless according to D1.6 Section 4.7.5: With approval of the Engineer (me), performance qualification test coupons may be with any of the steels listed in ANSI/AWS D1.1, Groups I or II.)
                        We will only use stainless if we have trouble welding the A-36 coupons.

The welder needs qualified for a fillet weld in all positions. I realize I could just run a CJP groove weld, cut out 2 specimens and run (1) face bend and (1) root bend and it would qualify the fillet within the thickness limitations of D1.6 Table 4.3, but our shop supervisor (one of my bosses) wants to run a fillet weld instead. So, I can (a) macroetch or (b) break. If I macroetch, do I need to set the test assembly up according to the PQR guidelines as shown in D1.6 Figure 4.5 or can I just run the same thickness plate as I would a CJP groove weld, except as a fillet (T-Joint) and cut out (2) specimen and macroetch each? Also, if we do the break test do I need to set it up according to Figure 4.5, or just do the same as the groove test assembly but with a T-Joint?

Table 4.3 only specifies thickness limitations when dealing with the groove weld test assemblies, so what would my thickness limitations be if running a fillet weld qualification test?

Thanks in advance, any help is appreciated.

Drew
Parent - - By drewp29 (**) Date 07-31-2009 17:25
Anyone? 

Could I run the fillet WQR outlined in D1.1 Figure 4.36, with 1/2" plate, macroetch one specimen, break one specimen, and qualify it as 1/8" thickness plate to unlimited (according to D1.1 Table 4.10, Fillet option 1)? Does this apply if it is a stainless wire, or do I absolutely need to work to D1.6?

Drew
Parent - - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 07-31-2009 17:33
If you are qualifying a welder for a procedure, make sure the procedure is qualified.  Personally, I prefer to make the welder qualify on the base metal he's going to burning on in production.  Speaking in a general sense only, a FWBT is used to ensure that the weld is sound.  The macro is used to determine if adequate penetration has occurred.  I recommend staying with D1.6 for the performance qualification.  If you run into production or acceptance issues later on, it will be easier to show a clear, undisputed path of qualification: PQR, WPS, WPQTR.  Either way, good luck.
Parent - - By drewp29 (**) Date 07-31-2009 20:58
Thanks for the input bozak - I also prefer to have the welder qualify on the base metal they will be welding in production, but my hands are tied and we're going to use the A36 for the test coupons. If the code (1.6) restricted the usage of test coupons outside the base metals listed in D1.6 then I would have a leg to stand on, but since it says you can use others, my boss says that is what we'll do.

I guess what I am really asking here is if I do a break AND a macroetch (on closer reading I realized the macroetch section 4.10.4 states: Fillet welds SHALL be macroetch tested for performance qualification.), what is the test assembly supposed to look like for a T-Joint? Is there a figure in 1.6 I should be following? I know for WPS qualification Figure 4.5 detail A applies, but it doesn't state in the welder qualification section for fillet welds that you should run the qualification with the same assembly as the PQR.

Again, thanks for the response . . .

Drew
Parent - - By Ke1thk (**) Date 08-05-2009 16:17 Edited 08-05-2009 16:20
Drew,

I'm looking at D1.6, 2007, section 4.4.  The way I'm reading it...if your qualifying a WPS with a PQR...in a fillet weld...you need to run your test per figure 4.5.  Looks like 12" long, 6" high and 6" deep. 

The weld will be 12" long.  You need to cut it into three pieces.  Cut two inches from each end and cut the remaining piece in half.  You want to end up with two four-inch pieces.  Three of the four faces of your two four inch pieces need to pass a visual macro test (sand, polish, acid dip).

I'm not sure about the break test, but as I recall, it needs to be tested using AWS B4.0.  In other words, the sample needs to be measured while it's breaking (what force). 

Whoever welds the PQR is qualified.  Your other welders would be tested the same way, less the B4.0 break test, I think.

I would personally recommend that you just test to a CJP groove weld.  To me it seems easier.

Good Luck,
Keith
Parent - By drewp29 (**) Date 08-05-2009 20:44
Quote "To me it seems easier"

MY sentiments exactly . . . which is what I proposed in the first place, that way we qualify all groove welds and all fillet welds. I was met with resistance since the welder only needed to be qualified for fillets, but after laying out the procedure for testing the fillet weld, through the same figure (4.5) you referenced Keith, the resistance lessened and we did end up running a CJP groove for the WQR.

I'll look at B4.0 for future reference, thanks! I wonder why there is no text in D1.6 stating that the fillet weld WQR should be run the same as the PQR for the fillet WPS qualification (Maybe I just missed it somewhere). If they just said that I wouldn't have questioned how it should be done. I realize that you can qualify a welder by running the PQR per the WPS, but why is there no generic test like the CJP groove for the welder qual? The PQR for the CJP groove WPS is quite a bit more involved than the welder qualification test, so I would expect something easier for the fillet welder qual as well. But I guess that is not the case.

Thanks for the insight!

Drew
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.6 Fillet Weld WQR