Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Piping connection to static equipment nozzle
- - By Richman (**) Date 08-05-2009 10:04
What was the effect on welding in nozzle, if the pipe is connected or bolted to nozzle without any support? Is there any provision in any codes that states, NO piping shall be allowed to connect or bolted on Nozzles unless it is properly supported?
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 08-05-2009 19:13
I confess I don't know if it's written in some Code because I don't know the Codes verbatim, but any Equipment Erection Instruction Manual, that's normally issued by the equipment manufacturer (and I've got more than one in my personal library), or any Erection General Specification, that's normally issued by Project Engineering Companies (and I've got more than one in my personal library), say NO.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - - By swsweld (****) Date 08-06-2009 02:36
Every specification that I have worked to states that pipes shall be supported every XX feet depending on the pipe material and wall thickness. (paraphrasing)

It also states that it shall be supported within XX feet of all offsets. That is not per code necessarily but specs count too :)

By the by; what code are you working to?
Parent - - By Richman (**) Date 08-06-2009 03:32
We're working with B31.3
Parent - By Shane Feder (****) Date 08-06-2009 10:36
Richman,
It may not be in any codes or specs but it still comes under common sense.
Engineers design a nozzle and the weld that it goes with it based on intended service. They do not design it for some clown to hang a 6 metre length of pipe unsupported off the nozzle.
That is why we have pipe supports - to support the pipe so stress is not placed on things that are not meant to be stressed.
Regards,
Shane
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Piping connection to static equipment nozzle