Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / AISC "Boot Camp"
- - By TimGary (****) Date 07-11-2003 17:53
Hello,
I'm considering attending a 2 1/2 day "Boot Camp" offered by AISC that covers the implementation of a Fabricator's Quality Management System and the transition to the new Building Standard.
Has anyone attended this class.
Was it wort the expense?
Thank you for any comments.
Tim Gary
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 07-16-2003 20:00
Dear Tim,
I didn't attend the Course, but considering the high reputation the American Institute of Steel Construction deserves all over the world (Brazil included), I'd say YES, it's worth the expense.
After you've finished it, tell me how did you find it.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-16-2003 20:47
Hi Tim,
Yes, I attended their "Boot Camp". Quality Management Co., LLC puts it on and does a great job explaining what will be required of you on your next audit. When you get through with the course you'll know how to write procedures for a trip to the bathroom. They are procedure crazy but I guess if they want to see em, I'll write em! Terry Logan (Lead Auditor) and Anna Petroski (President of Quality Management Co.,LLC) taught the class I attended in Baltimore, MD. and I really enjoyed their humor as it lightend up the heaviness of the subject. Go ahead and spend the bucks, you'll be glad you did.
John Wright
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-16-2003 20:58
Tim,
When you get back, Tell me how your "M & M's" were? (Insider joke for those who took the class.) Mine cost me a fortune in back charges and shipping costs!
John Wright
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 07-19-2003 13:15
Tim,
I'll be going to the Philadelphia Boot Camp in September along with 2 fellow employees. This was a result of a direct recommendation from the auditor during our annual review in early May. We have the Major Bridges and Fractural Critical along with Complex Buildings, so our program focuses mostly on bridge requirements. We had no CARs during the audit. The auditor noted that we will need to do some revising to be successful in the next audit, as far as the Complex Bldg category goes, and that all categories will soon follow suit. So the advice was taken. I figure it can't hurt to learn more about it, and although I'm not a financial expert so I'm not sure, I have heard the costs are tax deductable.
CHGuilford
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 07-19-2003 15:49
Thanks to all for your responses!
I plan to attend the Charlotte "boot camp" in September, if I can talk my cheapskate boss into paying the bill.
Last year the company I work for decided to get an AISC cert in the "MB" category, so I devised the quality manual, related procedures, and completed the application. However, we have not yet submitted the application.
As I had not previously worked with AISC and have had no input other than what's available on their website, I'm wondering just how many holes are in my procedures. I'm hoping that this boot camp will help me figure that out, especially since AISC is revising their Code basis.
I'm sure it would be wise to acquire the services of an AISC experienced consultant to review my work and offer advice. Perhaps you gentlemen could recommend a consultant who would be interested?
Thanks again,
Tim Gary
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 07-21-2003 09:44
Personally, I wouldn't hire a consultant until I had taken the Boot Camp. Then you will be able to talk apples to apples. But if you still want to go that route, I would contact QMC for some recommendations for consultants in your area.
Chet Guilford
Parent - - By BankerQC (*) Date 07-23-2003 14:45
Hello gentlemen,
I will be attending the Nov. session in Orlando due to the addition of the subject matter for Fracture Crit. and Steel Bridge fabricators, the AISC certifications that we already posses. Any info on what to expect or recommendations for "stuff" to bring along would be appreciated.
Thanx
BankerQC
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-23-2003 16:57
QC,
Bring yourself and bounce all the questions you have on any particular subject matter off them. They really like for you to get envolved and ask questions. If you have the same two people teaching that I had in Baltimore, you'll enjoy. Everything was provided for us and they even provided lunch through the hotel catering service. Pen and paper and all the subject matter was given in a notebook for you to keep and take home. The notebook had room along side each section for your notes. All the powerpoint presentation slides were in the notebook as well. I thought it was very organized and very informative.
They get upset if you ask them what will they be looking for when they audit your facility. The reason being they present this Boot Camp as a tool for you to help improve your business and bottom line figures. I still wanted to know what they would be looking for, so I could get prepared. Anyway I think all my questions had been answered by the time all the material had been gone over. I knew that when I got back I could throw out my old manual and start from scratch with a new and improved one. Ours had been pieced together over the years as we had been audited and the auditors found things for us to correct, then we would write in something to cover what issues the auditor found. Just getting by seemed to be the philosophy around here in the past.
Anyway, go and have fun(FLA. can you believe it? I had to go to Baltimore in March, COLD!)
John Wright
Parent - By elkendo Date 07-29-2003 01:04
The company I am with has been certified for about 10 years. I have seen auditors that just skimmed the surface and some have really tested our quality system.
One thing I know for sure is that the new standard should be a whole new ballgame. The audit I had in May was very detailed. The auditor said he would provide his own lunch, he didn't even stop for lunch, he went from 8 am to 4 pm without even a break for the restroom or a glass of water. Unbelieveable.
Anyway, I am scheduled for the Boot Camp this October in Seattle. I think this new standard is getting to be more like an ISO certification and I am going to take all the advice I can get.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / AISC "Boot Camp"