Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Question: Obtaining ASME "R" Stamp
- - By FloridaSnook (**) Date 08-12-2009 18:45
We are an established design/build/install company for process equipment and piping in the juice and beverage industry.  I've been asked to investigate the feasibility of obtaining an "R" stamp so we can self-perform repairs on stainless steel tanks that are coded as opposed to having to subcontract out the work.  Here is a link to a Sperko Engineering document he put out some 9 years ago ( http://www.sperkoengineering.com/html/Steps%20for%20R%20or%20Code%20Stamp.pdf ) that gives good info but I'd like to know if others have attempted a similar task and what lessons learned you might be willing to share.

I am a CWI and have prior nuclear QA experience with 10CFR50 Appendix B so developing a Quality Program to capture all the ASME details is not foreign to me.  It would be a change in culture for some of our project managers and supervisors but achievable....thoughts...?

Thanks,

Michael
Tampa, FL
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 08-13-2009 14:03
The best first step in all these types of matters is to contact a prospective Authorized Inspection Agency. They will certainly be glad to meet with you and give you, without cost, a generalized lay of the land. And then will help you through the process as a consultant with a interest in your success.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Question: Obtaining ASME "R" Stamp