Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / SMAW instead of GTAW for root pass for Process Piping
1 2 3 Previous Next  
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 08-12-2009 15:49
Thanks Henry, that was interesting, (TIP TIG).
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 08-14-2009 03:16
I realise you have extensive experience but I am struggling to see how you can continue to stick by your original statement.

"I stand by my posts, where I say that in my experience as a welder, inspector and recognized third party "Certification body" GTAW is more easy to learn and master than any other main welding process"

You have admitted yourself that 99.9 % of the members disagree with you (that is a pretty overwhelming percentage)

You also stated that in your experience as a welder, inspector and recognized TPI - you have made no mention of welding tutor, welding teacher or welding instructor. We have all of those here on the forum and when we are talking about learning to weld I would say the people who know best are the people who teach others to weld all day everyday.

I have taken Papua New Guinean tribesman out of the bush and had them passing an ASME IX plate test with stick after 7 days. Can't talk any English and most of them had never worn shoes, let alone workboots. I reckon I could have done GMAW and FCAW in 6 days easy - 3 to learn how to manipulate the torch and 3 to learn how to set up the machine.
The hardest thing was trying to teach them it wasn't someone stabbing them everytime a spark burnt thru their overalls.LOL !! The helmet would fly up and they would be looking around for someone to chase after.
I can guarantee, not in a million years would I have been able to get even the brightest student to be proficient with GTAW in 7 days.

Regards,
Shane
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-14-2009 03:24
That I would like to see. The visions of someone expecting to see someone with a spear next to them in a welding booth. That's incentive!

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 08-14-2009 07:13
Shane,
No, I am not a welding tutor and I never will be.

To be honest, I don't give a XXXX about others opinion in this matter, I have my own opinion and experience :)

You mention ASME IX plate test, let me throw in more fire here by saying: Every monkey can do that, within a very short time frame (IMO)
Before this thread got ugly I did mention pipe welding subject to NDT and here is the huge difference....once again, that is my experience and opinion.

Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 08-14-2009 09:29
I have spent the last hour telling myself not to respond but I have failed.

WHY DO YOU DO IT ?

You can post excellent responses to questions and then for some unexplained reason you suddenly revert to your "3.1" persona.

The rubbish that you and ssbn727 served up earlier in this post was like two children in the sandpit calling each other names.

These two postings of yours below were nasty and demeaning to any welders who may have achieved these qualifications.
There are a lot of people who will be MIG (GMAW) welders all there lives, are you a better person (or less of a monkey) just because you are a boiler tube welder ?

"I agree 100% that any monkey can run a GMAW bead on a random piece of plate, no question about that."

"You mention ASME IX plate test, let me throw in more fire here by saying: Every monkey can do that, within a very short time frame (IMO)"

Let's get this straight - Is it easier to pass RT with GTAW (TIG) than other processes - Yes, I agree with you totally.
                                Is GTAW (TIG) easier to learn than the other major processes - No, I disagree with you totally.

I have no problem with you stating your opinion, as I said an opinion is never wrong but don't bring derogatry statements in about other welders who may not be as competent as you.!!
Regards,
Shane
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 08-14-2009 10:08
Shane,
Thanks for reminding me!
I now see and realize that the posts you referred to sounds offensive to any welder who might have a hard time learning the 2 methods I mentioned.

That was not my intention at all and I apologize to anyone who feel offended.

Parent - By Shane Feder (****) Date 08-14-2009 11:28
Thank you for your response,
Regards,
Shane
Parent - By Stephan (***) Date 08-14-2009 12:28
Shane,

and I had a hard time the last hour telling  m y s e l f  to not to reply on your post but finally I became weak, as you may recognise.

First off, God bless you for what you have written since it proves - as you may allow myself to say so - both wisdom and respect. Most likely btw the latter is one of the outcomes of the former...

Secondly, even though I must state a straight sympathy and understanding for Henry along this thread I do not wish to stir the pot (hopefully that was not even too much). I mean moreover that all has been said and done and any addendum to the topic which has been put into its constituents would be dispensable and further would act contrarily.

Anyway, your post has led - fortunately and most probably secondarily - to another question which is a burning issue to myself.

To get to the point.

As I had a look into the July 2009 welding journal I could also read on page 6 the 'Editorial' coming this time from the highly appreciated Mr John C. Bruskotter, AWS Vice President. He dealt with the offshore welding business and the outstanding capabilities a welder must have when working in this field during his Editorial, and then I could read a very interesting comment where he said: (quote) 'These guys and gals are "real" welders' (unquote).

Free and frankly spoken, you know me as an honest soul, my very first idea was: Stephan, you should start a thread in the AWS forum asking the question:

"WHAT IS A "REAL" WELDER?"

Instead of this I was happy to read the story of Kip and the other fellows which was then finally subject of my post in the 'Shop Talk' section.

Anyway, as I could follow the discussions along this 'Inspection' thread, I could not avoid to ask myself again, 'Who the heck has the right on earth to decide what a 'real' or a 'poor' or a 'monkey' welder is?'

And your extraordinary statement (quote):

'There are a lot of people who will be MIG (GMAW) welders all there lives, are you a better person (or less of a monkey) just because you are a boiler tube welder ?' (unquote)

has replied my question so entirely that it's second to none!

Therefore, Shane, a heartfelt 'Thanks!'.

You know I have also seen the wonderful pictures John R. West (jrw 159) has attached to another post, showing the excellent work of a few fellows who have accomplished their welds by using FCAW and an additional manipulator or turntable, respectively. These  W E L D E R S  can be proud on their work as it was performed perfectly (I guess they also are). No, for me they are as quiet as "real" as any other of my appreciated fellow welders doing his/her job filled with proudness for what they are doing.

I mean that nobody should 'classify' welders into 'monkeys' and 'reals'. All of those who are performing their daily job seriously and also very often physically suffering - due to the harsh surroundings, very often influencing their work - have - at least from my humble standpoint - deserved our upright and honest respect.

Thanks for giving me a chance to saying this during my last few minutes of summer vacation!

All the best to you,
Stephan
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / SMAW instead of GTAW for root pass for Process Piping
1 2 3 Previous Next