Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Misplaced hole Weld Joint Designation
- - By eekpod (****) Date 08-14-2009 17:27
Question;
I have to fill some holes that were improperly placed.  The WPS for that, what joint desigination should it have? Square groove weld? I know its a full pen weld but I'm curious what the joint designation is. Any help would be appreciated. 
Parent - By HgTX (***) Date 08-14-2009 17:36
That will depend on your procedure.  The way I have people fill holes (do one side at a time starting with temporary plug, and gouge to longitudinal weldable profile), it's V or U with backing.

But it may be that there is no standard joint designation for what you plan to do.

Hg
Parent - - By motgar (**) Date 08-14-2009 17:56
Chris,

Take a look at paragraph 5.26.5.  There are a few considerations depending, on a few variables.
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 08-14-2009 18:59
Thanks, I went through 5.26.5.  It still doesnt tell me what the name of the joint is,I'm going to call it a "plug weld".  I have a procedure in written form but it doesnt referance a certain joint.
Parent - By motgar (**) Date 08-14-2009 19:37
Chris,

All I was trying to point out was the need to repair or not to repair.  If it needs to be repaired, then a lot more is invloved then saying do this with this WPS.

Do you mean a joint designation, such as B-L1a or B-L1a-GF?

Is this on plate material or pipe?
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 08-15-2009 01:26
When I write a WPS for hole plugging I don't try to use a standard joint designation - it isn't required. 
Instead I draw a diagram of the hole cross section and top view and add in any countersinking, backing materials, or whatever will be used.  The top view usually has a dotted, spiral line to show the general weld progression, and NDE if required.
I use "Plug Weld" in the WPS title.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-16-2009 13:46
The typical method of repairing mislocated holes can create more problems than it solves. Most welders place backing under the hole and weld in a spiral, starting from the outer corner spiraling in toward the center of the hole. Depending on the process there may be slag to contend with. In any event, the residual stresses are high and it isn't uncommon to see cracks when sufficient ductility isn't a characteristic of the base metal. The higher the strength of the base metal, the more likely cracking will be a problem. The other problem is the opportunity to have incomplete fusion along the outer corner (inside circumference of the hole). That problem can be addressed when the backing is removed. However, the cracking can be very tight and difficult to see without MT or PT.

I have had good success by elongating the mislocated hole with a grinder so the hole looks almost like a canoe. The hole is still round at the bottom where it is backed by similar base metal, but the top of the "groove" is elliptical; the length being on the order of three times the hole diameter and the width of course being equal to the hole diameter. The groove is then welded using stringer beads so each bead can be easily chipped to remove slag, oxides, etc. I've never had a cracking problem with this technique and they've always passed UT and RT.

I always look very closely at the site where mislocated holes have been repaired by welding. The use of copper backing, improper or incomplete cleaning between passes, poor access resulting in improper electrode angle, etc., all contribute to the problems I see with typical repair technique used to correct mislocated holes.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 08-17-2009 10:09
Thanks for all your input gentleman.
The base material is A992 regular W shapes, nothing fancy.  We had the programmer put some holes on the wrong side of the flange and this piece is exposed so we don't want to show the empty holes, thats why were filling them, only for appearance.
Parent - By HgTX (***) Date 08-17-2009 16:11
Make sure you don't introduce any structural problems with a cosmetic repair.  Al has some good stuff in the post just above.  And these welds would be subject to the same inspection requirements as any other CJP weld in that location (whatever those might be).

Hg
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Misplaced hole Weld Joint Designation