Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Looking for Exciter Armature Help
- - By Keplinger78 (**) Date 08-10-2009 01:42 Edited 08-10-2009 01:44
Hello,

I have replaced the exiter coils,testing the armature...here's how I tested it.(Weld Mart info)

Took my Ohm meter set to the highest setting,got 4.?? to 6.?? From pole to ground(nut on Armature)It changed,each time I checked it,but every pole I checked tested the same(bad)

When I got it the welder made very little DC power,It would just turn a grinder..but very slow only showed 6 volts or so.(It showed some sparks between the brushes and armature)But wouldn't weld.

Replaced the springs and brushes.Didn't have nothing...Dead no voltage. Tested Coils they showed bad.

Replaced the coils still nothing.Here's how it's hooked up.

The left brush holder has the left coil leads (both) and the brush connected,the right brush holder has the small wire from the coil,the brush,and the (BLACK) lead that ties in to the screw that goes to the shunt coils and idler board.the large lead from the right coil ties to the lead that goes to the power rec(RED).

Thanks Tom K
Parent - - By FixaLinc (****) Date 08-10-2009 03:59
Parent - - By Keplinger78 (**) Date 08-10-2009 10:30
I have that info,but seems the same way I have it hooked up.I know this is the way it was when I took it apart.The only thing I can see is that the left side brush holder shows that it goes to the red lead(with the screw)and the both the leads from the right coil are connected to the brush holder???

Thanks Tom K.
Parent - - By FixaLinc (****) Date 08-11-2009 15:39
Call them at Bill's this week and see what they can tell you.  You may need to do a high voltage growler test on armature and have bad winding in it.  Can't always tell with just a ohm meter sometimes.  Be sure the  communtator on armature is clean and brushes moving freely with good springs.
Parent - - By Keplinger78 (**) Date 08-12-2009 10:41
Hello,

It has new brushes and springs,guess I'm going to try and get the armature tested.
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 08-18-2009 05:00
have you checked the shunts
Parent - - By Brian T. Beard (**) Date 08-18-2009 05:04
Hey Shad!!
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 08-19-2009 04:07
hey
Parent - By Keplinger78 (**) Date 08-18-2009 10:36
yes no 110 DC volts...send the armature to get tested thursday on a growler
Parent - By KSellon (****) Date 08-18-2009 17:42
PRE 1970 exciter coils should read 167 ohms
POST 1970 exciter coils should read 130 ohms
with all wires connected properly to the exciter brushholders you should read 110-125 vdc across brushholder studs.
across the solid wire on the left hand brushholder and the solid wire connection in the belly of the bullet nose you should read less than a ohm. (isolated reading)

let me see if I can post a better pic.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Looking for Exciter Armature Help