Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Metal saw, grinding disks, and chop saw blades
- - By phaux (***) Date 08-23-2009 13:54
In regards to chop saw blades, grinding disks, and cut off wheels, what does everyone use? I've been trying different brands to see what's the best bang for the buck and so far the Dewalt ones seem to last the longest. Bought a Makita chop saw blade the oter day since I love their tools but sadly I blew right through it.

Also, was talking to a guy the other day that told me that a metal blade chop saw is the way to go. Said they don't wobble during cutting and cut super fast. Can you pop a metal blade onto any chop saw? Do they blades last a long time cuz they seem pretty pricey? What's a good brand to go with?
Parent - - By jrod (**) Date 08-23-2009 16:00
no you can not put a metal blade in any chop shop. it has to be a saw designed for a metal blade they turn fewer rpms than a regular saw. as for brand i have a makita that i really like. just cutting mild steel the blade last a pretty good while. i think the price difference in blades about equals out when you think about cut life. also you can get the metal blades resharpened.
Parent - - By phaux (***) Date 08-23-2009 17:30
Does it cut a good bit faster and cleaner? Worth the money you think? Sometimes I cut a good bit of pipe and am looking for something faster and less messy.
Parent - By jrod (**) Date 08-23-2009 18:08
i think its faster and cleaner. there is very little bur and what it leaves you just run a file over to clean it up. i think they are worth it.
Parent - By michaelb (**) Date 08-23-2009 19:43
i cut 200pcs. 1x1 square shaft for  a grate with an evolution metal blade chop saw the blades cost me seventy five but there isnt any bur  i think the saw was 300$ but they are good  messy metal shavings.  more like chips lol the saw doesnt turn as fast as an abrsavive one.
Parent - By FixaLinc (****) Date 08-23-2009 16:51
Have seen others put the metal blades on their regular chop saws making it work so they say but haven't tried changing one over yet.  I never liked the Dewalt disks.  The cheap foreign made ones always get what you pay for seems like.  Every hardware store, tractor dealer and others putting in Forney stuff here but I see it's all foreign made too but seems to last longer than some others.  Sait or whatever the local welding supply sells is what I usually get seems to last the best. 

http://www.unitedabrasives.com/index.html

http://www.woodwardfab.com/woodward_fab_metal_cutting_saws.htm
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 08-23-2009 18:55
Hello phaux, you will find that cut-off wheels are similar to grinding wheels in a sense, some will cut faster than others, but they won't last long, others will last forever and yet they will literally "burn" their way through the pieces and take forever to make a cut. In some cases the ones that don't last very long will make a straighter cut even though they don't last as long in the overall sense. My first suggestion is to try to talk your supplier into allowing you to "demo" various brands of wheels. He/she might provide you with some sample wheels to make your own judgement about. If not, you might go ahead and purchase one of each and compare their performance.
     As to the metal cutting wheels, others have already given you a rundown on a bit of that area. There are "special" cutting machines that operate at a much slower rpm than a standard chop-saw and they do use special carbide tipped blades designed specifically for that purpose. You don't want to try to use this type of blade on a regular chop-saw. I have heard that there is a company that does make a blade designed to operate at the higher rpms of a standard chop-saw, but I can't remember their name right at the moment. If I run accross it again I will post it here. The carbide tipped cut-off machines could be considered more desireable for a couple of reasons, for the most part they provide a basically burr-free cut, they are generally a bit more accurate on the cut as well, and they tend to cut with much less heat so your parts are easier to handle sooner. I have seen the carbide saw type cutters in a number of different offerings: small 4 1/2" to 5" rechargeable hand-held models, regular worm-drive and circular saw type configurations(generally 7" or 8 1/4" sizes), and 14" chop-saw styles. A bit more for your consideration. Best regards, Allan 
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 08-24-2009 02:15
http://www.bulletindustries.com/carbide-products/metal-cutting-blades/sc253320//page/1/checkForLanding/true

I havn't tried these yet, but they claim their 14" carbide blade is OK at abrasive chopsaw speeds. If these work well they are an inexpensive alternative, but You know how that goes sometimes.

Abrasive saws run about 3800 RPM, The Milwakee & DeWalt purpose built metal chopsaws run 1500 & 1300 RPM.

On thinner materials like condiut & metal studs I think the carbide blade might be OK on the high speed saw.

None of them are recommended for use on sections over 1/4" wall thickness, but I know it has been done successfully with a Dewalt 1300 rpm saw a friend has.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 08-23-2009 19:07
Hello again phaux, came across the information that I mentioned in my first post. Try checking out "Freud Diablo" I believe this is the blade that is designed to be used in a conventional chop-saw. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By Brian T. Beard (**) Date 08-23-2009 20:00
I have an Evolution saw, it works great and the blade last a long time if you take care of them. Meaning let the blade do the work, I have had it for about a yaer and have to only buy two blades. I have made alot of cuts on 2" shd 40 and square tube from 1" x 1/8 to 4" x 1/4 and it really works great. I won't go back to the fiber blades.
Parent - - By phaux (***) Date 08-23-2009 20:45
I think I'm sold. I'm just tired of the awful dust from the cutting, the wobble, and constantly replacing them. Time to spend some money.
Parent - By RioCampo (***) Date 08-23-2009 21:53
I have the 14" milwaukee, it's bada$$ to say the least. I have both blades for mine and back ups. It cuts light stuff real well, (less than 1/4"). I made 1 blade bite the dust cutting 2 7/8 pipe, I had to chalk it up to pushing too hard, like you do on a regular chop saw.
That baby makes the smoothest cuts of anything I have ever used. If you build gates or framed for anything, it's worth it's weight in gold. You will have very clean smooth cuts, very few burrs. Man do they cut fast also, you can cut a piece of 2 3/8 pipe in 5-6 seconds.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Metal saw, grinding disks, and chop saw blades