Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Who's the Whackjob...
- - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 08-30-2009 23:00
that keeps putting one diamond ratings on peoples' questions?  That's just plain silly.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 08-31-2009 02:07
I know what you mean Curt!!!
Why do you think my own so-called rating (Like I really ever was for this friggin middle to high school BS system in the first place - NOT!!!) went from 2.78 about two months ago to less than 1.5 as of today I guess. (someone sent me a PM with the intent of giving me a "heads up" by suggesting that I look at my own rating a few days ago, and I noticed that it was around 1.47 or something like that!) For all I know, it might be even lower than that as I'm writing this!!! :(  ;)

The only "rationale" I could come up with as the reason this is happening is because someone doesn't like my posts as well as someone not liking yours either, or is seeking retribution at anyone in a particular thread that you or I participated in or anyone else in there for that matter!!! :( Like I said since it's inception, this system would eventually evolve as a cheap weapon for someone to get back at any individual who rubbed elbows with them in the wrong way, and this would be their way of getting back at them... As it turns out my predictions were pretty much as accurate as one could predict unfortunately. :( :( :(

Who knows Curt, maybe if enough of the participants started suggesting to Ross that the ratings system is only promoting animosity amongst other participants... And that the forum would be better off to shelve it all together instead...  He might just "eighty-six" it with the greater interest of the forum in mind??? Who knows???

At the risk of "sounding" (There's an oxymoron if ever! ;) ) redundant, I'm going to repeat writing what I think just about sums up how I really feel with respect to this ratings system with a quote from an earlier post:

"However, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it because I do not participate in the forum so that I can win a popularity contest as you know also... We both participate to share in our collective experiences as well as our collective wisdom in order to learn from each other and in the process of doing so, forge friendships, collaborate on projects, and find camaraderie amongst each other as people who go through life on life's terms for the most part as well as share our personal difficulties in coping with the struggles one encounters with living in this very complicated age of human existence."

That sums it up in a nutshell for me Curt. ;)

Respectfully,
Henry     
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 08-31-2009 02:34
Henry,

I personally think the ratings system needs to go. I mentioned the possibility that otherwise good informative post may be ignored due to that ratings system, but I was told it no longer mattered.

I have now taken the tact of just ignoring it. Whichever idiot is getting their jollies out of running through and giving people negative ratings can simply kiss my arse.

I wouldn't worry to much about your ratings, those of us that know you, also know you've put up some very valuable contributions. So I say F$$$ em.

Regards,
Gerald
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 08-31-2009 02:42
I agree.
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 08-31-2009 02:54
i'll make three that agree
Parent - By Mat (***) Date 08-31-2009 05:05
There's a rating system?
Parent - By snuffman (***) Date 08-31-2009 05:27
I generally don't worry about the rating of a post. I just use common sense and within the first few lines I no whether or not to keep reading. I wouldn't worry about it and just let the trolls just keep trolling.
Parent - - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 08-31-2009 16:59
Man, and then he blows it with a picture of the McKee????  :)  When I get home I'll have to post a picture of the tender that did all the REAL work, AS-37 USS Dixon! 

Agree that the ratings system is male bovine excrement.  My chief complaint has to do with the poor encouragement that I would expect could deter a person from asking a question in the first place.  This may especially be true of younger users, who often regard their online identities with as much weight as their real ones. 

Now, as far as I know, I have no "enemies" in this forum who would seek to defame or assassinate my character, at least none I know of.   When responding to a post, I try to make sure it's a topic I know about, and that I may be able to help with.  When I post a question, it is simply to seek information.  I have rated posts myself, but never gave anyone less than 3; if I felt it didn't deserve that then I simply didn't rate it. :) This might lead one to ask what the purpose and intent of the rating system is to begin with.  However, all things being what they are, I am not at all worried about it for my own sake. 
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 08-31-2009 17:58
Hey Curt!

Are you talking about "November - Whiskey - Romeo - Hotel"??? That Tender went down as a "Target!" Go figure-huh? in 2003! ;)
At least the McKee hung in there until 1999 and was only stricken from the register in 2006 but, wasn't made into a "Target!" :) :) :)

I don't remember if the Dixon could handle tending Tridents though, and being stationed in San Diego must've been some really rough duty most of the time??? ;)
I hope you know that I'm poking fun right back at ya buddy!!! :) :) :) Yep they were some great support ships weren't they??? Good memories indeed! :)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 09-01-2009 09:29 Edited 09-01-2009 09:33
Henry,

I was stationed in Dixon from 88 until 93.  I can't tell you how many Tridents we have had alongside, or when, or what services were rendered, but suffice to say that Dixon was twice the tender that McKee ever claimed to be!  As far as being sunken as a target goes, it's an honor to see that your former ship was used in a way which helps the good fight, as opposed to being scrapped in Taiwan or India.  I have been looking for video of the SINKEX for years, can't find any.  I spent 6 years on November, and have lots of good memories...true, San Diego wasn't tough duty.  But we were less than welded to the pier, so to speak.  I have my 1st 3 Battle 'E' awards from that ship.  I'll have to find some photos, I have a few.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 09-02-2009 11:41 Edited 09-02-2009 13:09
Hi Curt!

Both the Dixon as well as the McKee were capable of offering support services to "Boomers & Super-boomers" like the Ohio class boats, although the McKee was better suited for FBM's... Btw. the two "Boomers" that were alongside of the Tender shown at night in the second picture was NOT the McKee FYI!!! Can you guess which one it was??? ;)

The previous Tenders that were specifically designed, or Re-designed to also offer complete support services for FBM's were the USS Hunley(AS-31 Note: First ship designed specifically to service FBM's), USS Holland (AS-32 Note: Only recipient of the prestigious Battenberg Cup), USS Simon Lake (AS-33 Note: 5 Battle "E" awards), USS Canopus (AS-34) and the Re-designed USS Proteus (AS-19 Note: Hull was cut then a complete section was added in between to become capable of handling ballistic missiles)... Both of the only existing sub tenders in the USN are of the EMORY S. LAND Class such as the USS Emory S. Land (AS-39) and the USS Frank Cable (AS-40) and both can offer complete services to both SSN's as well as SSBN's... Currently both are serving in Italy and Guam respectively.

Since its commissioning, USS EMORY S. LAND has received two Meritorious Unit Commendations, the Navy Expeditionary Medal, Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal and five Battle Efficiency Awards in addition to numerous departmental awards. The ship won the Captain Edward F. Ney Memorial for Large Ship food service excellence in 1985, 1995 and 1997, the Safety "S" Award in 1995 and 1997, the Red DC in 1995, and the Weapons Black "W" Award in 1996 and 1997... From 1980 to 1999, USS FRANK CABLE garnered many awards as a unit of both the U.S. Atlantic and Pacific Fleets, including three Meritorious Unit Commendations, "SEVEN!!!" Battle Efficiency "E" awards and three Golden Anchor Awards.

USS McKEE was the third EMORY S. LAND - class submarine tender and most likely was the last submarine tender built for the US Navy. During McKEE's first decade, she set the standard for submarine support around the world. Early in 1984 McKEE became the first submarine tender certified to support the new Tomahawk Cruise Missile system. McKEE earned three consecutive Battle Efficiency "E" awards in 1985, 1986 and 1987. In addition to the Battle "E" in 1986, McKEE was honored with the Golden Anchor Award for retention excellence and her first Meritorious Unit Commendation.

In 1987, McKEE was the first submarine tender to visit Adak, Alaska since World War II, and conducted the first nuclear submarine upkeep at this remote location. 1988 saw McKEE become the first submarine tender certified to handle the Tomahawk Vertical Launch System (VLS).

In March 1990, McKEE continued leading the way for submarine tenders by participating in the first underway Fuel replenishment by a Pacific Fleet submarine tender. This fuel was in preparation for deployment to the Persian Gulf in January 1991.

When Operation Desert Storm began, McKEE deployed to the Persian Gulf and spent six months providing support to submarines and surface combatants. McKEE was awarded a second Meritorious Unit Commendation and the Southwest Asia Service Medal. Following Desert Storm, McKEE was awarded a fourth Battle Efficiency "E" Award.

In 1995, after the decommissioning of USS DIXON, McKEE provided all support to San Diego based submarines. Assistance was also provided to many Allied submarines while they visited Point Loma.

In 1998, McKEE earned a third Meritorious Unit Commendation following a six month deployment to Pearl Harbor. During this deployment, McKEE provided services and conducted repairs to both U.S. and Allied submarines and surface combatants. Upon returning to San Diego, the ship took the lead in establishing shore-based services that will support the submarines after McKEE's departure. The ship was decommissioned on October 1, 1999, and is currently held in reserve at the Norfolk Naval Shipyard in Portsmouth, Va. NOT SCRAPPED in the places you might have ASSUMED CURT, but who knows.. The McKee may end up being a target also after all is said and done!!! ;) So, their record was pretty good also - to say the very least!!! :) :) :)

Either way, they were both excellent support ships as I know personally since the boats I served in had the honor of being supported by both of them on various occasions, and I can understand your own personal bias towards the Dixon Curt, but before you bash a ship with equivalent distinction in service record such as the McKee, you might want to check the facts first! ;) I mean look it up yourself! ;) In any event I thoroughly enjoyed this conversation!!! :) :) :) Hey Thanks for supporting us "Bubble-Heads" because without you guys, we couldn't do what we did!!! ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 09-02-2009 16:34
Hank, all I can say is :) .
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Who's the Whackjob...