Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / New To Welding
- - By wolfspider79 Date 09-15-2009 18:14
Good day all,

I'm very new to welding. I am 30 years old and have a family. I got out of the military last Dec and pretty much have been in the private security field now for 9 years. I cann't stand it anymore and I would like to totally change where I want to go in life. I have always found welding as a very insresting field. I live in Charlotte, NC I work full time right now for a private security company but I want to learn welding. I want to see about a apprenticeship but have not found anything in Charlotte. I have applied to the Apprentice School in Newport News. That question I have for the group is do you think I have a chance with the Apprentice School in Newport News, or do you think I'm wasting my time? Also if anyone can point me in the right direction I would be in debt to them. Thank you all for reading this post.

Jacob
Parent - By mightymoe (**) Date 09-15-2009 21:36
Hey Jacob! Welcome to the forum.
I switched trades a couple of years ago and it has been for the best.
Carolina Energy has a nice welding school in Rock Hill, SC. You might want to check it out, only 20 minutes from down town charlotte.
Is the apprentice school in Newport News a union school? Which union?  You could also look into a local Technical Colleges.
I went to a Tech School at night and poured and finished concrete by day. It took be almost two years to finish but it was worth it.
Some unions will count your time at a tech school towards your 5 year apprenticeship.( if you can weld) So you wouldn,t start out at the bottom of the pay scale.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-15-2009 22:40
Jacob

While you are looking for apprenticeship opportunities there is also the option to take advantage of your G.I. Bill benefit.  (Thank you for your service)

http://www.gibill.com/new/

You may find that some tech college training is a good thing... The G.I. Bill may cover most or all of the expense and you can discover how much you really enjoy welding.
Parent - By wolfspider79 Date 09-16-2009 20:04
Thank you fro replying, I called the WEC Welding School in Rock Hill and they told me a 12 + waiting list. I want to Weld but it seems I cann't find any place that will train me and also pay me. I cann't go to school right now do to the hours I work, and the GI Bill taking so long to kick in. I would like to have a appreneticeship but no unions in NC.
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / New To Welding