Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / welding videos
- - By mrwelder (*) Date 09-18-2009 00:54
Anyone have these videos? http://www.thewelderslens.com/index.html
Im thinking of getting these for HS students. What do think.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 09-18-2009 02:36 Edited 09-18-2009 02:38
Hi mrwelder!

Nothing substitutes what you as the instructor can demonstrate as well as articulate to your students!
Using these videos could add to the confusion of whom your students would trust with respect to what technique would be better for them to use IMHO!

Audio/visual aids are only useful when reinforcing certain principles in teaching welding technology and as a tool for emphasizing, or reviewing the topics covered in the text book being used. Btw, which of the video series did you have in mind specifically? I believe there many video aids available that would better suit your needs as well as the HS students you're teaching but without the specific course outline you have in mind, I really cannot suggest any specific videos at this time...

Keep in mind that HS students will pay attention to a video no longer than twenty minutes before some become really restless and disruptive, fall asleep or leave the area because of their relative short attention span. ;)

I have used many audio/visual aids over the years and I can tell you from experience that they are only as good as the instructor is in knowing when and how to present them so, be aware of this before deciding which aids you're willing to work with. There are a few other instructors in here that can also give you some decent suggestions but without anymore specificity course wise, they may or may not suit your own or your students needs.

If you could give us a basic course outline we could come up with some decent suggestions and one that I can give you right now is to keep it as simple and basic, stressing the fundamentals as possible without any distractions and you'll keep their attention focused on developing their welding skills as well as comprehending the importance of being familiar with the theory involved without overloading them with too much and emphasizing that they continue to learn way after they graduate from the High school where their training really begins to take shape. ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By mrwelder (*) Date 09-18-2009 10:30
I just wanted to know if the videos where any good.
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 09-20-2009 18:58
Ronnie,
I've seen in your video that a welder is installing a flange on a pipe end. This wouldn't be possible in Brazil. Flanges are installed by pipefitters and welders weld them. In one of them attempts to do the job of the other one, this would start a mess with the union.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - By ronnie taylor (**) Date 09-20-2009 20:05
Ok... I'll be sure to remember that next time I'm in Brazil.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / welding videos