Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Pipe Jack Stands
- - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 09-19-2009 23:55
I've been looking around for some stands, figure I really need to have things like that if I'm gonna be out at the locals place and not be using their stuff. I've only used their jacks once but that's enough for me, time to buy some.

I've seen a bunch of different kinds but really liked the Sumner fold up stands. Also found a guy on ebay that is selling them and wanted to know if this was as good of a deal as it sounds. Free shipping, set of rollers, two stands, here's the link..

http://cgi.ebay.com/Folding-PIPE-STANDS-NEW-fits-SUMNER-Pack-Jack-Quant-2_W0QQitemZ290350569996QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item439a3e1a0c

I checked a price on those roller heads and he ain't jokin, there up around $100. Just thought I'd run it by you 'perienced folks and see. Got a pile of loot on ebay I'm selling to get the rest of what I need right now!
Parent - - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 09-20-2009 00:31
I have the sumner jack stands without the handle. Munn supply is around 80 bucks each. I carry 8 on my truck. In my openion, Sumner is the best out there.
There is 4 for sale on Craigslist okc for 40 each.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 09-20-2009 00:39
Thanks shorthood, went out there and found them on CL. To late to call now though
Parent - - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 09-20-2009 02:21
cumminsguy,
He has a 300D and a bunch of welding(hand)tools, also 3 beveling machines. He has a serious back injury and has to sell out.
Parent - By almeraz83 (**) Date 09-20-2009 04:22 Edited 09-21-2009 15:27
dont know wheres is everyone at. but theres this guy in houston that sell them for $50 a piece new. i spoke to him like 2 days ago. hes name is weaver

heres the link

http://houston.craigslist.org/tls/1377059688.html

heres his number if anybody else is interested i copied it before the ad expires just make sure when you call him you mention it was on CL. if not he will sell them back at their store price.
832 258 9730
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 09-20-2009 12:45
Thanks shorthood, but not sure how he'll feel about boxing and shipping stuff to TN. Can't get out that way though, picked up a single hand job for the next 1 1/2 -2 months doing more chill pipe and the guy said he may have some more 2" gas pipe when this one is over. I'm hoping to do some work after hours and weekends for my biz to get some money to either fix my 51' or get something else that is running and working.
Parent - - By RUSSELL (**) Date 09-20-2009 15:08
DARIN WHAT IS ASKIN FOR THE 300D?
Parent - - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 09-20-2009 18:21
im not sure what he is askin, but if its as cheap as the jack stands, not much! I believe his number is posted on CL in okc
Parent - By allen white 2 (**) Date 09-22-2009 04:22
darin if you are talkin about jerry barksdale out of blanchard i talked to him a few days ago he said the stands were sold but i didnt ask about a price on the machine but if anybody is interested in his truck its an 04' dodge 3500 4-door its silver with a pretty nice bed on it with like 160,000 miles i think he said he wanted something like $12,000 for the truck and bed, no machine
Parent - - By okwelder82 (***) Date 09-20-2009 04:41
I have 2 jack stands exactly like those on e bay but without the roller head and I hate them. When I first rigged out they were the cheapest I could find but they dont have the tube like the sumners do and you just have to screw them all the way up or down, real pain in the a#$ in my opinion. Just my 2cents.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 09-20-2009 12:36 Edited 09-20-2009 12:39
Hey, thanks for pointing that out Okwelder. I did'nt even notice that just figured they were sumners and would be the same. Went back and studied the pic on ebay and I can see they don't have the big washer for the slip joint. I'm thinking that the ones that almeraz posted for that guy weaver are looking pretty good though, not fold up but still jacks and made here in the USA, at least it will keep the money here. Again, thanks for catching that and pointing it out. I would have been p.o'd if I got them and they did'nt have that option. Would have been lot's of WTF's flying around. I know what you mean about screwing them up and down though. We had something similar in the auto world but much taller and they screwed up and down only, what a pain in the backside.
Parent - By okwelder82 (***) Date 09-21-2009 14:19
No problem. Glad I could help.
Parent - By jnieto (*) Date 09-20-2009 14:48
yeah your right .I had some 2 it is a pain in the butt!
Parent - - By welder_Bob (**) Date 09-20-2009 18:19
The ones you have a link to on eBay are not made by Sumner.  They are the cheep bolt together ones and will not hold up like Sumner.  Check out Ram welding supply they have the best prices on good quality stuff and free shipping. 

Remember the old saying,  You get what you pay for and when it comes to something that can get you hurt or killed don’t skimp. 
Parent - By 12vstrokethis (**) Date 09-21-2009 00:08
not much good i bought 4 and the best thing i came up with them is make some shorties out of them i took one as low a 13"
david
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 09-22-2009 02:38
checked Ram this morning Bob, seem's they got the best deal I've found so far. Free shipping, called another joint today and asking about a shipping quote on the same sumner st-881 stands and did'nt sound like they knew to much, if we have them, if not, if this and somewhere around $50-100 shipping. I'll be getting ahold of Ram before long.
Parent - - By hillbilly (**) Date 09-22-2009 10:44
Don't forget to give AIRGAS a shout, unless you already have. I checked with mine here in town on  stands and it seems like they were  the same or really close to RAM. Just another option. Glad to see you keeping busy.
Parent - By RUSSELL (**) Date 09-22-2009 20:47
I bought some from AIRGAS(sumner folding vheads)for like$70 apiece.BTW in WEST MONROE,LA.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 09-26-2009 02:04
Hey, been wondering where you've been. Last time I called your phone your wife answered and said you were out playing Ironworker again! Also said something about 16 hour days.....yikes!! I've been on the Airgas website, probably give them a call on monday with a model number. Did two utility jobs last month....waiting on payment, the only bad part about doing "gov" work.
Parent - By RUSSELL (**) Date 09-30-2009 19:05
that is oilfield work in Louisiana for you .Ive been waiting 180 days on a check & aint got it yet
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 10-11-2009 11:09
Well, picked up two non folding stands at a place in Nashville that my "ol' Faithful" welding supply house turned me on to. I asked him but he said he did'nt stock them. This was on Friday. I talked to another supply house, near my house(wife could pick them up) on tuesday and ordered the fold up jacks. Told them I needed them by friday, well friday comes and he tells me more like monday. I said by the time I can pick them up I'll be done with the job if they don't get here til monday. He said they did not even leave the warehouse yet when I called back later...this was on Friday! The day I needed them. Told the guy hate to dump them on ya, but call the warehouse and cancel the order, I got to find something local.

I got the yellow ones, $69 each I believe and checked on the fold ups while I was there, $76 each!! I told them I'd be back for two more. They also could get the sumner pipe clamps and great prices on those too! Used them yesterday to build some ballards, the pipe car bumper things. Don't know how I went so long without these jacks, made the whole job fly by and easy, could have used the other two and thought about getting them then the battery on my welder tanked!!
Parent - - By low_hydrogen (**) Date 09-26-2009 02:40
Oklahoma rig and supply normally has a good price on the sumner jackstands  cheapest I ever paid for the fold up model was $78 Have bought one before and paid $106!  it pays to shop around.
Parent - - By RioCampo (***) Date 10-01-2009 22:56
Munn supply in oklahoma or fresno oxygen in california, both have good prices.
Parent - - By RUSSELL (**) Date 10-11-2009 00:29
Red Ball Oxygen in Alexandria,LA has 4 Sumner yellow Max Jax with rolling heads $65 apiece if you buy all 4.Not folding but very heavy duty.They are around $120 normally.
Parent - By weaver (***) Date 10-11-2009 14:55
call valley welding supply in sidney mt.  sumner fold up stands with roller head for 75.00. they like to make deals..
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Pipe Jack Stands