Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / i been reading the past few messages
- - By mark8702 (*) Date 08-05-2003 04:11
ThePowerOfBlue did say some awful language....but i did agree with him on some things such as Heli-arc welding and Mig welding....I think that's for only light material like aluminum and Automotive Repair....I don't know but I didn't see anything wrong with P.O.B.I do like SMAW.....It has many advantages...and it is a good way to weld heavy steel but I'm sorry people but I am going to have to agree with P.O.B but no offense but I only know a few things about welding but what do you think?
Parent - By GRoberts (***) Date 08-05-2003 19:20
There is a proper place for every welding process. SMAW is very usefull in that it has low cost equipment, is very portable, can be done in slightly breezy conditions without loosing sheilding, and sometimes can achieve properties not available with other processes. However, in most situations FCAW or GMAW can put out a weld that meets the requirements of the job just as well as SMAW, and ocasionally better, at a much lower cost due to thier higher speed. GTAW can also put out a higher quality weld than SMAW on many applications when it is required, but does it even slower than SMAW. To only consider one welding process to the exclusion of others is foolish.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 08-05-2003 19:33
Hello Mark8702!

As far as GMAW, FCAW and GTAW (MIG&TIG) ("Heli-Arc" is a brand name used by Linde Union Carbide when they commercialized the GTAW process) goes., One must understand that as far as limiting those two processes to welding on light materials like sheet metal, and aluminum then, one would be limiting themselves quite unfortunately because, thicker materials including aluminum, more than likely cannot be welded with SMAW, and achieve economical efficiency or quality that is offered with GMAW, and GTAW...

There are certain metals that are being used quite more often these days that, prior to SMAW, could'nt even be concieved of being welded with any other process onsite, and achieve the same quality, that is now being welded with GMAW, and GTAW... Nickel Copper, Copper Nickel, Monel,Titanium, Inconel, Zirconium, Colbalt alloys just to name a few...

I'm not aware of any FCAW electrodes for aluminum or any other metals other than some of your carbon steels, and some stainless steels but, I'll let you know if there are FCAW electrodes for other metals...

For many years, welders have resisted to embracing these two processes (GMAW, GTAW) as a possible replacement for SMAW!!!
Some of their reasons have some merit to certain applications...
However, once they figured out how much savings and increased quality and productivity could be achieved with these processes in the long term, many shops decided to replace SMAW as their process of choice!!!

Now I'm not saying that SMAW should'nt be used anymore, Oh NO!!!
There are alot of Agricultural, Industrial, Maintenance, and Repair applications whereby SMAW can only be used in order to control certain mechanical, and metallurgical properties or whereby access to the joints in question can only be achieved by the use of SMAW, especially when it comes to repair welds in shipyard work as an example, the economical aspects of each repair, and many others for that matter!!!

You can also look at how FCAW has helped the construction industry and others for increasing their productivity!!!

I believe that you've heard the expression that "Time is Money!!!"
Well - just think about all of the time being spent removing all the slag and cleaning that's necessary when welding with SMAW as compared with GMAW, and GTAW in certain applications... Think about how less time is spent changing an SMAW electrode when compared to FCAW!!!

What it all boils down to is making the most practical process selection for the given application... Hope this helps out... I'm sure that other participants to this forum can add more in case you are'nt satisfied with my explanation...

As far as P.O.B. is concerned, this person has been monitored, and the appropriate disciplinary action will be taken so, I'll just leave it at that!!!

Respectfully,

SSBN727 Run Silent... Run Deep!!!

Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / i been reading the past few messages