Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / writing a wps and qualifying welders
- - By willbergj (**) Date 10-05-2009 13:03
First let me tell everyone that i am a welding instructor and have not yet done anything in the inspection field.  i recieved my cwi a couple months ago and would like to get my feet wet.  there is a local company that needs a pqr for a project they are making and they also want me to qualify their welders.  i understand that i am qualified to do this, however i want to make sure i have my ducts in a row, i dont want to screw up.
here is what i need help on; the company will be welding the part this week to send off to an engineer, a cwi must be present correct?  what paperwork and where is the paperwork?
Parent - - By motgar (**) Date 10-05-2009 13:37
Jason,

What is this "part" being sent to the engineer?  Why is it being sent to the engineer?

Which code(s) is/are going to be used?
Parent - - By willbergj (**) Date 10-05-2009 14:08 Edited 10-05-2009 14:21
well from what i can tell it isnt a prequalified wps.

would it be recommended that an engineer sign off on it?
Parent - By motgar (**) Date 10-05-2009 16:07
Jason,

Why is the WPS not prequalified?

Are you asking if the engineer needs to okay that a PQR be done.  or That the PQR has met the requirements of AWS D1.1?

Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 10-05-2009 13:40
Which Code is the product being made to conform to? It will all be there in the Code.
Parent - By willbergj (**) Date 10-05-2009 14:07
d1.1
Parent - - By willbergj (**) Date 10-05-2009 15:32
if i am not mistaken a cwi must be present when a test coupon is welded for a pqr?
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 10-05-2009 16:39
Only if it is required by contract or Quality Manual.
Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 10-05-2009 17:06
But keep in mind that if you are asked/ expected to sign off on the PQR... Could you ethically sign a document stating that XY znd Z were porformed/ followed if you weren't there?
In my opinion, I'd want to be there for the welding of the test plate, this way you can document the variables to generate the paperwork for the PQR and then the WPS.
Also, that's a big function of CWI's is witnessing tests.  There are some CWI's thats 50% of there work, so I'd urge you to imply its a requirement if they want you to sign off on the PQR test.
Just my thoughts   Chris
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 10-05-2009 17:16
You will need to have the qualifier listed on the documents and qualification documents shall be signed by the qualifier. Qualifier is the employer, organization, or individual specified by the referencing document as responsible for conducting and supervising qualification testing. If the employer employs a cwi it makes since that the cwi would be that person
Parent - - By Ke1thk (**) Date 10-06-2009 15:11
Fantastic!

You're a lucky man to receive work so quickly.  I'd copy all documents (PQR, WPS, and Qualifications) straight out of AWS D1.1.  I've used Microsoft Excel, Word, and Access.  To keep it simple this first time I’d use Word.  Fill out completely.  Take digital photos for yourself and the customer.  Include a cover page including the customer's name and address and yours.  Have a title page and revision page.  Think report.

The big points will be what are they welding and what test will cover it.  Also, what are the inspection requirements? I'd get to know a NDT Level III and destructive tester.  Pick their brains, as they could be a valuable asset.

If your not sure what you're signing, don't!

Good Luck,

Keith
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-12-2009 18:56
We've been through this before.

Simply being a CWI in no way infers you are qualified to develop a WPS. There are CWI's with the background and experience that have the knowledge to develop a WPS, but if you have to ask how, what, and why, you clearly are not ready to undertake those tasks.

I want to cry when a CWI calls me and asks where to find the tensile test results to list on the prequalified WPS.

AWS offers a course on how to qualify a WPS and how to write a prequalified WPS, but that is beyond the scope of knowledge required of a CWI. The CWI is expected to recognize a WPS, he is expected to know what the information means and where to find it on the WPS, but he is not expected to know how to write the WPS.

AWS B5.1 Table 1 lists what job responsibilities the CWI is expected to be able to perform. Every CWI is expected to read it and QC1 before taking the CWI examination. It would appear few do read it.

A CWI with a few years of experience under his belt and if he has the opportunity to work with a Welding Engineer or if he has attended some of the more advanced courses offered by AWS or ASME can learn how to write a WPS, but it isn't part of the CWI examination and it isn't covered in any depth by the CWI seminars.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen entries on the WPS like: "Progression - right to left or left to right." It brings a little sniffle to my nose every time. 

Best regards - Al
Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 10-12-2009 19:14
willbergj,

Can you provide more information, such as... base metals to be welded, welding process, etc.? Motgar asked why is the WPS not prequalified.  Are you positive it isn't?

It's a little odd that this D1.1 "part" would be sent to an engineer, unless it's for an aesthetics approval.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / writing a wps and qualifying welders