Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Thermal Arc
- - By thepowerofblue (**) Date 07-27-2003 12:36
I am going to purchase some new Stick Welding Machines and I wanted to know what you think of thermal arc electric stick welders as of compared to the competitive market.
Thanks
Parent - By supermechanic (**) Date 07-27-2003 21:01
Why ask when you seem to be convinced that miller is superior?
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 07-27-2003 21:18
I have a Thermal Arc Dragster 80. A very "Hobby type" machine. I have used this for both GTAW and SMAW. It tig welds better than it stick welds due to the reduced voltage.

The machine is well made as can be expected.

I have also used thermal arc 300 Amp inverters in the field for SMAW and CAC. These were used along side Miller 300 Amp CC/CV machines during the 1-1/2 month job and I noticed no difference.
Parent - By thepowerofblue (**) Date 07-27-2003 22:15
I have 7 machines in my shop,all stick.Most are miller and 3 are older lincolns while one is an idealarc but I wanted to maybe try out one of the thermal arc machines see if they are good and if they have better warranties and misc like that.I also have a salvage yard behind my shop with lots of old engine driven welders that dont run anymore.I buy old welders that I could use for parts like electrical and engine.So i can fix people's machines and not always having to order parts or buy them from a supply store.
Parent - - By brande (***) Date 07-28-2003 04:18
Certain models of the Thermal Arc are good. These are the old 250 amp+ Hobart models with some refinement, although the designs are very close. Their TR 250 is good for a light machine and their Excel Arc is good in the heavier units. Don't know if the Excel arc is available anymore.

Stay away from the lighter duty Thermal Arc units, they may be good, but not up to the task you expect. Parts can be tough to get and many repair shops are not set up with TA.

Keep in mind that buying the wrong welding machine is much like marrying the wrong woman. I could tell you more about the second-but that's another story.

If my living came from the equipment on my shop floor, I would get a little more than I could afford.

Keep in mind, too that the era of buying a heavy duty machine and expecting a 20 yr life is fading very quickly as well.

As far as heavy duty stick machines go, and I know I may get some heat about my recommendations-here we go!!.

If money is not a real big object, I would seriously consider the Lincoln R3R series or the Miller Gold Stars. As a welding repair tech (along with other dubious titles, including AWS CWI), I have been inside both and would give the nod to the Lincoln.
Remember, I have gone through all the Miller schools and spent my first 15 years of my career on Miller equipment exclusively. Hell, I think my shorts are still blue!!

The older pre ITW Gold Stars were very good, the newer ones not so much so. You can identify the newer by the "2" in their names (ie 302, 402, etc) I've had a number of small, frequent, and dumb repairs on the newer ones that the Miller QC should have caught.

Do not be afraid of the new inverter type machines. They are good and rugged, although their price is somewhat higher. The Lincoln V350 (not the 300) and the older Miller XMT 300 (not the 304) get my nod in this category.

All said, you can't really go wrong with either machine from either mfg.

Find the distributor that gives the best support to your efforts.
Buy and support your local distributor if you can. This is much more than the factory does.

Hope this helps

Good Luck
brande
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 07-28-2003 11:15
Hello Brande!

Just curious, I also went through the Miller school in Appleton for the welding equipment repair course back in the beginning of 84 if I remember correctly.
What year were you there for the course I just mentioned?

Also, I was wondering if there is anybody at Miller that I could contact in order to find out if I could obtain some form of proof that I attended and "graduated" the above mentioned course?
I had the misfortune of residential flooding at my previous address in New Jersey and alot of my records were destroyed as a result. Fortunately, I've been able to recover just about everything else regarding important documentation.
However, I am experiencing some difficulty in regards to recovering these documents. Any suggestions?
The other school I attended was the old Linde school, and I say old because, well as you already know, Linde welding equipment is now ESAB. I was also wondering if you might know anybody to contact at ESAB. Also, do they still have the welding equipment repair courses in Florence, SC?

I would be extremely grateful If you could offer some advice.

Respectfully,

SSBN727 Run Silent... Run Deep!!!

P.S. I liked your comments on the thermal arc equipment and the inverters. I also agree with you about some of the newer Miller equipment!! Those older Goldstars were made very well, yes indeed!!!
Parent - - By brande (***) Date 07-30-2003 06:36
SSBN727-

Sorry for the delay-been a bit hectic lately.

Anyway, I went through the service school in 1995. The biggest thing I remember is that I had a ball and ate a lot of cheese!!! Gotta love Wisconsin!!

The only advice that comes to mind, that if they issued you a certificate and took your money, there should be a record of it somewhere.

Same goes for Linde/ESAB

Let me look through my stuff. I'll let you know.

That said, I have a lot of numbers for Miller as I was a Miller exclusive for many of my earlier years. I'll look to see if there are any numbers that might relate.

I the meantime, contact me directly at brad@stargate.net

Good Luck

brande
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 07-30-2003 12:14
Thanks a whole bunch Brande!!!

No hurry on this though so, please do'nt break a sweat over it yet because, if you're like me - your info is all over the place! No offense...

Respectfully,

SSBN727 Run Silent... Run Deep!!!
Parent - - By thepowerofblue (**) Date 07-28-2003 04:21
[deleted]
Parent - - By brande (***) Date 07-30-2003 06:37
[deleted]
Parent - - By mark8702 (*) Date 08-05-2003 16:38
[deleted]
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 08-05-2003 17:56
[deleted]
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-05-2003 18:20
[deleted]
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 08-05-2003 19:56
[deleted]
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-05-2003 20:46
SS,
Easy on me now, I'm following you, I'm in agreement about these two. I was saying that they have been given numerous chances to straighten up and fly right, and they would still be welcome provided they behave. Nothing was meant towards you or your views, I simply was discussing the subject at hand and hoping the two guys would take the hint.

About the bold characters(not the two we been talking about), look on the main forum page under "help" and scroll down to "Markup Tags". There are several things you can do to the text with those tags.
Check it out :)
John Wright
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 08-05-2003 21:26
Hello again John...

I'm glad we're in agreement, not that I thought we were'nt... It's just that those words written in bold text were a bit confusing as to what you were alluding to...

Thanks for the tip on the mark up tags...

Look foward to reading more good natured humor from you and others regarding welding and forum related issues!

Respectfully,

SSBN727 Oh well you know the rest...
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 08-06-2003 05:08
[deleted]
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 08-06-2003 10:22
When all is said and done, it does not make any difference if a person is male or female on this forum. I personally don't consider what gender a person is when I respond. We all know what we know (or, like me, at least think I do) but are ignorant about many other topics. What makes this a great forum is that there is a broad spectrum of experience, participation from around the globe, and everyone genuinely wants to help others.
I thought it was great to see Artgirl posting a while back and would like to see other women participate. Not many women have the desire to weld, either for a hobby or a career. You may have noticed that not many men do either. Maybe that is because many people think if you don't get good grades in school then you will have to be a dish washer or a welder to make a living. We all know nothing could be further from the truth.
Right now there is a serious shortage of welders, and it gets worse as each one of us retires (my own is many years away but close enough to think about it). This forum is a small part of the overall picture but it doesn't take much of a bad smell to make people change the direction they are walking in. I appreciate that everyone who uses this forum has been well mannered and professional, and that AWS is actively cleaning up the problems. You never know what will make a difference to an interested person.

Chet Guilford.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-06-2003 11:37
Chet, well said!
SS, Brande, Bill,
Hey guys(gals included too, if any are monitoring), I too appreciate the different opinions and levels of expertise on this forum and it makes for a well balanced variety of knowledge and does nothing but help each of us. I appreciate each of your posts and help keeping me in line with welding, code and inspection issues. I have said it before, there is no way one person can know all there is to know about this great field we are in. The more I learn each day, the more I realize how much more there is to learn.
Thanks again,
John Wright
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Thermal Arc