Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / cert/qual paper trail?
- - By weldhawk71 (**) Date 10-02-2009 18:20
When a CWI qualifys a welder with a bend test, the inspector issues a copy of the test result to the welder and keeps the original- is this correct? Does any additional paper work get sent anywhere else. I had a guy try to tell me that the AWS has to recieve a copy. I though we the members were the AWS. I've never heard of a warehouse in Florida at AWS headquarters storing an infinite pile of certs/qual reports.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-03-2009 01:51
Hawk

In briefest terms.

The AWS tracks and compiles performance qualification test results on work performed by AWS Accredited Test Facilities  (ATF)

If a CWI is qualifying welders, the test report usually goes to the person paying to have the work done, which is not necessarily the welder. If the work is not at an ATF, no report goes to Miami.  

Many employers hold those certs/test reports.  The welder does not "own" the cert. simply by virtue of passing the test.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-05-2009 00:53
He who pays gets the paperwork.

Al
Parent - - By mikerowe Date 10-09-2009 03:13
Lawrence,

You were saying that if a CWI certifies a welder in a non-ATF then no paperwork is sent to Miami. My question is if a CWI issues a certificate for a successful WP in an authorized testing facility, does he forward copies to Miami?

In addition what if the CWI has use of the facility but he is independently issuing the cert, does a copy of the certification paperwork have to be forwarded to Miami?
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-09-2009 12:55
Thanks for posting that link...it answers lots of questions about the ATF
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / cert/qual paper trail?