Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Trident conversions @Puget Sound
- - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 08-06-2003 10:21
Hello Everyone!

I just read an ad that mentioned about alot of work coming up @ Puget Sound, Washington...

From what I understand, the work is going to be about converting some of the Trident (SSBN's) subs into SSGN's to be used for Special duty... I think I'll leave it at that because of national security...

Anyway, I was just wondering if any body knows some contacts over there, because I would like to know more about this project, and since I know those subs from bow to stern, port & starboard, conning tower to the bilges, I believe I could be of some use to them...
If anybody knows more about this please e-mail me!
I could just imagine how much cutting and welding will be going on when the work starts!!! Man, that sounds like FUN!!! They'll probably be looking for some CWI's also...

Look foward to reading from anyone on this project...

Respectfully,

SSBN727 Run Silent... Run Deep!!!

Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 08-06-2003 10:38
That sure sounds like fun. A few mirror welded HPD's can give a guy a whole new outlook on socket welds!

It's too bad they can't pull them babies into NE Mississippi.
G Austin
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 08-06-2003 10:58
Spoken like a true mirror welder!!!

This one fella I worked with back when we were building these subs said to me one time when meeting up with him on another job: "All that mirror welding I did, makes me read a little funny these days..."
Suggesting that he was becoming "dyslexic", I responded: "Well - I hope you're looking at my face when I look you in the eyes!!!"
We both laughed after that!!!

Yeah, It would be alot closer to Mississippi than the state of Washington but, that's the way "the cookie crumbles sometimes..."

Thanks for the memories
(Bob Hope, the first celebrity to make me laugh, RIP!!!), and I hope to read more!!!

Respectfully,

Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 08-06-2003 11:12
Did you ever wonder why all of the brazed joints were out in the middle of the passageway yet the welds were under cable trays, deckplates, other welds etc.

Not to take anything away from those who braze, but there is a different type of manual dexterity required.

It's probably a good thing they are not here. My memories of my life as a 20 year old welder may clash with the physical abilities of my 39 year old body. I would look like a hamster squeezing under a door jamb. :)

Have a pleasant day

Gerald Austin
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-06-2003 11:50
Gerald,
I hear ya! My 38 year old joints don't bend like they used to either. I was working on something the other day and my legsand my hands cramped all up and I had to stop and get out and stretch and try again. I can remember a time not too long ago that I didn't have to do all that just to get some work done.

You older gents are going to tell us to wait until we get older to complain, but I'm feeling it already.
John Wright
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 08-06-2003 16:13
Don't worry about how it will feel when you're older, John. Once you get there you won't remember how you felt when you were younger!

Just out of curiousity, SSBN and Gerald, what do you weld up all those mirrors with anyways? ;)

Chet Guilford
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 08-06-2003 22:54
We use a rod similar to that used for window welds. But the numbers are reversed:)

The mirror welds looked less wrinkly when I was younger . Of course evrything in the mirror did !

G Austin
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 08-07-2003 00:03
Hello Chet!

For all you "youngsters" out there, two words: "Glucosamine & Chondrotin"... This stuff really works!!! It takes a little bit (2 to 4 wks) of time for you to start feeling the difference but, if it was'nt for this stuff, I'd reallly be in heap of pain, not to mention, probably hooked on vicodin or some other pain reliever just to get around!!!
Seriously!!! Please do'nt wait until you ca'nt stand the pain any longer!!!
(No, I'm not a paid spokesperson for this stuff) Just a suggestion...
I hear you guys!!! Is'nt it uncanny how those aches start to really bother us just around the same age???

Anywho, to answer your question Chet...
I think you know this already but, we were'nt really welding up all those mirrors in fact, we were'nt welding any mirrors (I had to read your question a couple of times to get your joke, oh well, I'm a little slower these days)!!!

I believe for myself, that we were using the mirrors as an aid to enable the person welding to actually "see" the welds when performing a repair on structural or pipe sections that did'nt pass inspection for that particular area of the joint etc...

In other words, usually when the joint was originally welded, there was ample space to perform the welds without any obstructions or restrictions to your line of sight... However, back in the day different piping systems and other systems for that matter, were installed with schedules that more than likely were'nt coordinated with the different trade departments... Talk about not knowing what the other hand was doing!!! Man was it a mess!!! Anywho, by the time the inspection deparment got around to inspecting not only the pipe joints but, also pipe hangers, and other revisions like, adding additional structural components, piping or tubing for redundancy, etc., the areas in question which needed rework were often found completely or partially surrounded by physical obstructions (Added equipment, etc.) to the degree that the welder sent to repair or add another hanger or to repair or weld a new joint would have no choice but, to use a mirror or two or three (very rare!!!) or four in order to not only get the proper line of sight to the joint or repair but, also to perform the weld or repair weld with some degree of comfort and consistency (when I was younger, I was flexible but, I nor anyone else was plastic man even though sometimes, I thought I was!)...

Another factor to consider was to cover up just about everything and anything that was capable of catching fire, cover up any metal or pipe that was exposed to potential arc strikes etc. So, alot of time was spent covering up in order to perform a weld that in reality, took only minutes to complete when it came to repairs. It took a little longer when we were in the "wet docks", and were welding new installations which were the result of engineering revisions...

In order to perform these welds with some degree of control, we came up with some really innovative gadgets that enabled us to bend around, and reach the specific locations of the joints that required welding...
The machinists were very helpful in that aspect... We also had to control when power was to be turned on, so that we would'nt put arc strikes all over the place before we reached the weld area, and most of this was done by using quick disconnects on the cables, (one person was used for this) with SMAW... Some of the repairs were performed with GTAW (mostly on pipe, and some machined surfaces)...

More than a couple of times which I would rather forget, we had more than one person performing the welding on the same area at the same time...
For example, on some of those really hard to reach pipe repairs, two people were performing the welding (three if you include the person turning the power on and off) because, due to the fact that the location where you had to position yourself was "tenative" to say the least (unstable)!!! One person handled the GTAW torch while the other fed the filler rod!!! (another person used the quick disconnects)
Usually this was performed with welders that had previously worked together using a different process (twin-arc SMAW) beforehand, and that's why we were so respected by our superiors... yeah right!!! Back in those days we thought that no job was tough enough!!!

SSBN726 (Ohio), 727 (Michigan), 728 (Illinois), and 729 (I do'nt remember this sub's state name although, I think it was the USS Georgia) were really a work in progress... in other words, prototypes that stayed that way until SSBN730 was built because, by then, they had worked out all of the problems and revisions they encountered with the first three submarines, and started to incorporate the solutions on the fourth sub, and finally eliminating or at least minimizing the problems on the fifth Trident submarine...

The same was the case with the Los Angeles (688) class attack submarines, where myself, and a few other good men were also heavily involved with getting those subs ready for shakedown sea trials in preparation for commisioning (handing them over to the Navy)!!!

I remember each time one the submarines left the yard for good...
Each time I prayed for their safe return to their new homes with the United States Navy!!! Second to None!!!

The groundswell of pride we (The shipyard workers) experienced was sometimes overwhelming!!!
Most important of all was the fact that none of these submarines ever let the U.S. Navy down!!! Thanks to Presidents Jimmy Carter, and Ronald Reagan, and to the continuing dedication of maintaining the highest standards that are in the finest traditions of the United States Navy, the main architect of our nations Nuclear Navy, Rear Admiral Hymie Rickover (RIP you S.O.B.!!!)... Not to mention all of the fine sailors ( I did a tour on the SSN Los Angeles) that served on these Submarines, and those who continue to serve!!!!!

Anywho, I hope I was able to satisfy your curiosity Chet because, I'm all talked out, and if I missed anything then, I'm sure Gerald could fill in the blanks so to speak...

Thanks for your patience in explaining this to you and others...

Respectfully,

P.S. btw the reason I use this sub is because, this one was my home sub, and I was loaned out to all of the other subs when things got "hairy" if you know what I mean!!!
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 08-07-2003 02:37
I too worked on boats but from a different side. I was in the Navy attached to various repair facilities that repaired submarines.

Many of the welds required two people and 75% or more were mirror welded. The welding was GREAT.

It was the best experience I have had welding. And a FREE tech library to get all the current industry standards on microfiche or reel to reel 35 MM film. (The paper turns back after a year or two though).

I'm sure many others are familar with the mirror welding process from aspects other than ships but I think there is a majority of it done there.

I shouldn't tell this secret and if any of you NDT guys "put me on report" I'll be mad. I would have an inspctor from one shift come down to look at fitup, tacks, and roots. Then I would weld finals and install all of the non-controlled interference in and get an inspector off another shift. They would wonder how in the world I got to that weld :)

A window weld is often performed when access to both sides of a joint cannot be achived. All the mirrors in the world cannot get your hands to pass through steel. In that case a section of a tube or pipe is cut out. The new section has a "window" cut out that allows the welder to weld the majority of the joint from the inside of the tube/pipe. The window is then installed which is welded from the outside of the tube. This is sometimes performed in boiler repair and is often the only way to repair tangent tube waterwalls.

I'll have to find my pictures and post them. Never did any window welds on subs. Only screen doors there :)

Have a good day and I love that glucosamine.

Gerald Austin
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 08-07-2003 06:46
Hey Gerald!

Thanks for filling in the blanks!!!

I also worked off a few tenders myself, back in the day!!!

I still to this day got my HT manual, although it's not in the best shape...

Did alot of "window welds" in many a power house!!!

Even got a video showing you how to do these...

But, the best of all is the fact that I can look back, and smile because,
I was on both sides of the fence when I worked on those "boomers"!!!
Then I knew that I had "turned full circle" - when working on submarines!!!
Now that sounds like the makings of a song, do'nt you think???
Not that it's supposed to rhyme because, most songs these days do'nt anyway!!!

Always a pleasure to talk with someone about the good old days...

Respectfully,

Beautiful story about the inspectors because, for the most part they did'nt care how you did it as long as there were'nt any mistakes made when the work was ready to be signed off, Like I'm going to -
RIGHT NOW!!!
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 08-07-2003 16:12
Actually, I just couldn't resist throwing a little humor in there. I'm overcome by impulses like that sometimed.
Your expreiences are interesting though. I never had to do much mirror welding myself, though we have some people that have done a lot of it in different paper mills.

On another note, vitamin C is supposed to help those old joints too!

Chet Guilford
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Trident conversions @Puget Sound