Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / NDT vs. CWI
- - By prowelda Date 10-10-2009 01:18
which of these options would be the preferred career path? what would be the starting salary of an entry level NDT vs. a CWI.
Parent - - By swsweld (****) Date 10-10-2009 02:41
prowelda,
That is a very broad question.
Preferred career path would depend on what you enjoy the most, opportunities in your area, and the entry level money depends on what industry you are in and supply/demand, the current economy and your qualifications and experience. You may get more money for an entry level CWI if you have been in the welding industry for 20 years as opposed to welding garbage dumpsters for the 5 year minimum requirement to get the CWI. Nothing against anyone welding garbage dumpsters.

Both CWI and NDE's can have very rewarding and similar careers. Both can start out from 20 to 30 an hour or even more if you negotiate well and find a good opportunity.  Like I said, a very broad question and many variables to determine the answer to your question. 

It doesn't have to be either/or. People often do both to increase their opportunities and value.
Parent - By RANDER (***) Date 10-10-2009 03:14
"It doesn't have to be either/or. People often do both to increase their opportunities and value."

And oftentimes companies are looking for people with both skill sets.  
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 10-10-2009 03:18 Edited 10-10-2009 03:20
prowelda,
Due to the current economic climate, I would recommend the NDT first and you can always get your CWI anytime. In fact as an NDT Tech, you might even have your employer kick out some more cabbage with the CWI tacked on to your pay while getting the hours for NDT.
Nowdays, many places are wanting you to have multiple NDT disciplines with a CWI. And the pay is better than either/or.
Many times, I wish I just welded trash dumpsters together (no waranty recalls though)...it doesn't pay enough to support my toys and vices.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-12-2009 16:18
I would definitely opt to start my career in NDT with several Level III certifications listed on my resume along with the SCWI. Why settle for Level I and Level II status? 

Now that I have your attention:

Why does one have to preclude the other? If you qualify, i.e., acceptable work experience, go for the CWI and then work on your NDT certifications. Both AWS QC1 and SNT-TC-1A require qualifying work experience in addition to the trainings and written examinations. It is easier to secure work as a CWI than it is to begin as a Level I in PT or MT. The NDT qualifications and certifications can be earned while working as a CWI.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By prowelda Date 10-12-2009 23:05
10-4, I jus didn't know which one would be more rewarding. I've been welding for about seven years now and i really enjoy it i'm only 24 but i think it would be nice if i had something else to fall back on. Plus my wife is almost done with nursing school so she says i cant travel anymore.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / NDT vs. CWI