Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Arcwelding Aluminum
- - By APM (*) Date 10-13-2009 14:00
We are undertaking the welding of Aluminum materials for the first time. I'm looking for any recommendations you may have with welding of the following Aluminum material:

6005 T6 (Extrusion and Sheet)
6061 T6 (Extrusion and Sheet)
6063 T6 (Extrusion and Sheet)
6082 T6 (Extrusion and Sheet)
7075 T6 (Sheet)
356 T6 (Sand / Perm Mold Castings)
A356 T6 (Sand / Perm Mold Castings)
A357 T6/T61 (Sand / Perm Mold Castings)

I would also like your recommendations on any pre and post weld processes.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-13-2009 14:48
Thats a pretty big task your sinking your teeth into eh?

One big resource I depend on is:
"Welding Aluminum: Theory and Practice"  By the Aluminum Association (ISBN 1-55925-000-3)

The above is pretty up to date and covers alloy types, filler selection, process selection, some heat treat and other important requirements.  Every supervisor and engineering decision maker might be well served to have a copy on their desk.

That is the only recommendation I think makes sence at this point... All the materials you list can be joined with a number of processes, the selection of which one will really depend on production requirements, fixturing, repair vs manufacturing, code requirements etc.

Just keep bringing your questions... as time goes by things will get more specific I'm sure.

This should be a fun ongoing thread!
Parent - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 10-13-2009 17:04
Lawrence makes an excellent suggestion. 

I have a couple questions, and the answers might help clarify a few things.

First, what is your role in the undertaking of the new welding procedures?

Second, what code are you welding to; more to the point, what applications are we looking at here?

Your 6000 series metals are all heat-treatable; that is, they can be treated by certain processes to attain specific properties.  T6 is one such condition; this will change during the welding process.

In all my experience (not as much as some of these guys), 7075 is not considered weldable. 
Parent - By FixaLinc (****) Date 10-14-2009 00:10 Edited 10-14-2009 01:14
T7075 maybe by resistance welding only according to a link I found.  I got some 7075 off air force surplus and that is some tough stuff to work.  Maybe this link will help some but I know there is better online specs for aluminum elsewhere too.

http://www.suppliersonline.com/propertypages/7075.asp
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Arcwelding Aluminum